Thursday, August 03, 2006

Smack-dab in the middle of breaking all the rules

Rule #1: Do not post another blog entry unless it’s to kiss the beautiful feet of all your supportive blog friends and to deliver the good news that the book is spit-shined to perfection and ready to take professional portraits, the black and white kind where you tilt your head slightly to the left and get the look… you know the look…the pensive one where you’re pretending that your mind is a million miles away when you’re mind is ACTUALLY very busy thinking: “I hope I’m not shiny. I hope I’m not shiny.” Although I must say, I want this novel to be very, VERY shiny.

Rule #2: Do not stay up past 10:00. OR… Do not have PROOF that you stayed up past 10:00. Lest husband fails to sympathize with all the vagueness and irritability come morning.

Rule #3: Do not eat the five-day-old pie as you sit and type past 10:00. Nothing good can come of it.

Rule #4: Cut with the lists already. And, by the way, adding the word RULE in front of the number doesn’t make it any less of a list.

And Rule #5: If you MUST blog, then blog about the children. Blog about writing. Blog about The Life and Times of CATHERINE. But don’t blog SPECIFICALLY about your husband. Why? Because he’s a smidgen on the private side. And he reads this thing fairly regularly. And he might say things like, “Dude. You make me sound like an asshole. Or wimpish. Or just plain ol’ drunk.”

But I’ve got good reason for breaking the rules. (As of late, it seems to be the ONLY reason I post.) And here it is: To say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I realize I’m a day early, Allan, but this way maybe you’ll read this with your coffee before I even wake up, and I will have officially been the first one to wish you a happy birthday. Besides, I'm gonna be all vague and irritable in the morning. And, God forbid, I forget to actually SAY it.

I think it’s kinda fitting that some jerk is out firing rockets and other pyrotechnics tonight. It’s fitting because you, Sweetie, light up my life. It's true. And I’ll just stop here because there is nothing I can say without diving headfirst into a pool of sticky, sappy cliché. Everything that wants to come pouring out the ends of my fingers will paralyze you with embarrassment and give you a case of the qualms over your decision to marry someone so schmaltzy.

So let me just take this opportunity to say that I have NO really cool gifts up my sleeve. No cakes where a woman pops out will be laid upon your desk (at least not from me). No all-expense-paid skiing trips, either. Just a happy birthday blog post, to my favorite bearded guy. My favorite dinner partner. My favorite smart ass. I probably could’ve just stopped at MY FAVORITE.

And, who knows, maybe there’s a back rub waiting for you later.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about your book. Let us know when it's available for purchase!
    And Happy Birthday to your man, it sounds like you've got a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Allan!

    The schmaltz is wonderful. Go on, let loose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Allan you lucky lucky man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Allan!

    (Great name! My late husband, my stepson, and my son all share it . . . spelled the same!!)

    Hope your day is wunnerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday to your hot man! and YAY on teh book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happiest of birthdays to le husband, sweet Catherine!

    (and it's nice to know that I'm not the only vague sleepy-head in the a.m.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Allan. You sound like such a lucky, fun couple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I break the same rules. Except that I have cake rather than pie, and I think it's older than 5 days old. (It's probably way to icky too!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your hubby. I think a blog tribute and a back rub is a perfect birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLAN!

    You both sound pretty lucky...even if you're vague and he's drunk all the time. HA!

    And CONGRATULATIONS on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Allan!

    Can't wait to see the book!

    Um...any 5 day old pie left?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i almost named Noah, Allan. i think if i have another girl, i'll name her that!
    happy birthday to the man!
    can't wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I blushed and wiped my mouth when I read rule #3. How'd you know?
    Belated Happy Birthday to your favorite!

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com