Saturday, August 12, 2006

I am woman. Hear me grumble.

First of all, to any and everyone who read my last post and said, “Feed, wha??” Becky is the winner! Although the contest is highly-imagined and/or retroactive in nature. Becky, you win some big, fat admiration. Alas, it’s from someone who is prone to reading astrology newsletters and poking at her tonsils with Q-tips excessively… so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, I will do my absolute best to enlighten all the rest of you… You see that symbol down to the left on my side bar… the one that looks like an orange box with 2 white arcs and a dot inside of it?? That has SOMETHING to do with my feed. RSS feed, to be more specific, which is blogging vernacular well beyond this woman’s comprehension. For more information, call your local smarty-pants. Otherwise, go to Wikipedia. They have a really handy definition. All I can tell you is that FEEDS are yummy. Although I suspect most of you already know this. Mine come in a pretty little email which includes all of my favorite people’s updated blogs. The story goes that the feed update keeps me from blog-hopping ten times a day. (I blog-hop, anyway) But, actually, they are only scrumdiliumptious when everyone’s feeds are working correctly. MINE hadn’t been, evidently. So if you receive an RSS feed update thingy for my particular blog, you weren’t getting FED, so to speak — grumble number one.

Grumble number two: (I see a LIST forming here.) — MEN! Excluding those that have a thinking brain, as opposed to those that only have squishy mass taking up space between the ears. To the squishy-mass-brained men — may I recommend a visit to this guy!


When I’m not producing fiction for cash, I work in the fields of science and agriculture. Question, friends: what’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a job that requires knowledge of, say, soils and irrigation implements? A man, maybe? A tall, strapping fellow who always has a toothpick hanging out the corner of his mouth and boots of some sort adorning his large feet, be it hiking boots or cowboy boots… always MUD-covered boots?? If your answer is NO WAY, I want to reach into your computer, grab you by the collar and kiss you. If you said, “Wow, she’s got talent for reading minds!!” Then, we’re hanging up now. You see, I am ANGRY, to put it mildly, at the people of the world who assume that I am the secretary or the cleaning lady or the student trainee when they walk into our local field office. When a customer says, “Oh. Nobody’s here today??” upon the realization that I'm the only one to help them in the building, I want to reach over the counter, grab their nose and twist it, saying, “That’s right! And NOBODY is touching your nose right now, can you believe that??”


Grumble number three: ME. Yes, me. Again, back to my last post. Once I was all done bitching about feeds, I thought I was giving my internets a present by sending you off to read blogs that made me laugh that day… One about a crazy nun… Thank you, Kevin. The other about a fictional crime… or so I THOUGHT.. That second one there came courtesy of novelist Joshilyn Jackson. And, I’m regretting posting the link because, she did actually have a bad thing happen to her! And NOBODY should laugh till their sides hurt about bad things happening to other people. (Laugh to your heart’s content about your own bad things.) But her story just had that “I’ll tell you the rest of the story tomorrow *wink wink*” ending, and so I assumed wrongly that there was some sort of catch… A “HAHAHA! Gotcha!” finale. But I couldn’t have been more wrong. And so, while her presentation of the events that transpired was told in a way that made me roll with laughter (as they always do), the REASON I was laughing wasn’t funny after all. So, I’m sorry, Ms. Jackson, for the horridity of your circumstances. Now that you’ve posted a continuation and I know that it was REAL and SCARY, I feel like an idiot for saying I laughed about it. Although I did. Because, somehow, you have the genius ability to make something as serious as wrongful arrest be very, very funny!!!

Anyway, I had more grumbles, but I’ll save them for a later… once I’m sufficiently over my man-hate and self-loathing.

You may now return to your regularly-scheduled weekend…

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Well, your feed has been showing up just fine in Bloglines. When I used Feedburner (which is what that little orange and white symbol denotes) it fouled up my feed such that it didn't show up in Bloglines.

    Anyway. I think you SHOULD get direct with the next person who presumes that you are "nobody". That's insulting regardless of your job title. How about: "If you're looking for the admin assistant, so-and-so's not here. But if you're looking for a [your job title], then I can help you."

    If it's any consolation, you're really funny when you're irritated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. Working in an industry dominated by men....arrrrrghhh!! I get sick of hearing..."go ask him"

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAH, so maybe it's not a Feed thing so much as it's a FEEDBURNER thing. Good to know!

    And thank you for the kind words and great advice, Julie! I've already said something similar... three times in one week... hence, my man-bashing venom-spewing grumble...

    P.S. I hope I did't offend anyone. This was originally a three hundred-page essay that I chopped down to what you see now because I got a TEENY bit carried away. I'm noticing now that I should have put secretary and cleaning lady and student trainee in quotes, because those were the words that were used to describe what they THOUGHT I was at the time. And, maybe it's also worth noting that I don't find any those titles degrading in the least! (Aside from the fact that maybe they should be called admin asst., janitor, and intern, instead) I just get disgusted at the assumptions people make based on my gender. 'kay, I'm done now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, feed, got it. I feel like I should have known that. Had you said "bloglines" I would have done a hair flip and been like, "Oh I TOTALLY know that that is. I'm so IN with all the blogosphere terminology." Anywhoo, I have you on bloglines too and it's always worked there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one not to get the feed reference. I'm pathetic, but at least I'm not alone, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL yay i won! sweet! i only learned what an RSS feed was after people were wanting it made accessible for blogline purposes. other than that though i have no idea what other feeds there are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, i am still in the dark. I guess I will have to have the inhouse computer geek sit down and slowly explain it to me while showing me pictures and graphs done in crayon to iilustrate.

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com