So! I have finished revising... for the moment. And, let me tell you, EVERYONE in the world should have the pleasure of wrapping up revisions, including (but not limited to) neurosurgeons, hall monitors, our world leaders and ALL their accountants. It’s TOTALLY orgasmic, such an AAAHHH feeling when you make that final change and reread it for the very last time and know that, by God, you’ve hit the mark on the head! It was fucking bleeding, for Chrissakes!!
But as soon as I reached the apogee, I had to kick the bitch to the curb so I could sleep for a few days. She wore me OUT. I needed some ME time, you know? Unfortunately, there were offices to show up at, and kids to attend to, and so I didn't really sleep any more than usual. But believe you me, I COULD have slept for two days. I'm relaxed to the point of delirium. And I'd like to bum a cigarette from you, if only I smoked. Although I CAN reward myself with a glass of Chardonnay.... And will. But no cuddling. Definitely no cuddling.
Truth be told, I'm still not completely satisfied. I'm already anticipating the withdrawals that should start any day now. I’ll be staring at the phone, pacing around all, “Why hasn’t she called?? It’s been a WEEK! My God, doesn’t she know I NEED her??” You see, I’m not really CONVINCED that I’m done revising. If I knew this novel was leaving me for good, I’d get attitude about it… “GOOD… DON’T come back… I was tired of you ANYWAY!” But she’s not done with me. She's NEVER quite done with me. She’ll be back. She ALWAYS comes back.
No big deal… A couple more nights of fun to look forward to later, right??? I know. I know. If you are a fledgling novel, you need to be RUNNING when I even LOOK in your general direction. Lordy knows I will use and abuse you to my wicked black heart's content.
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Warning: A word from my masculine alter ego
Posted by
Catherine
at
3:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Deep breaths honey, deep, slow breaths.
ReplyDeleteIs it going to be this bad when the little birdies start leaving the nest as well?
oh and WOOHOO!!!!!!
Oh, I so hope she doesn't come back! Wouldn't it be great if this were it?? I'm crossing my fingers for ya!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you I feel like it's my novel! Hey - does this mean I get a cut?
ReplyDeleteIt's official: This bitch has pushed you over the edge. She's Cameron Diaz in Vanilla Sky. She's Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. She's KATHY BATES in MISERY!
ReplyDeleteOh, how right you are, MGM... HOW. RIGHT. YOU. ARE!
ReplyDeleteAnd I SOO appreciate your enthusiasm for me, Jenny. (all of you, actually) It touches me so deeply that I'd be more than glad to give you a cut as a token of my appreciation... But I value your life. See, I wouldn't want to you to DIE laughing when you get your share of the sales. (this is me setting itty bitty goals so that I'm guaranteed to not be disappointed later.)
oooooooooookkkkkkkkkkk. Now I'm rethinking my hopes of being published someday. Maybe I'll just continue to write lots of junk and leave it for my kids to throw away! Yeah, their problem, not mine!! Thanks!! ;-))
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing me what being lazy has saved me- what little mental stability I have left. I always wanted to be a paid writer, but now that I see what that goal would of brought me, I don't feel so bad for not accomplishing it...
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!! That's TERRIFIC news! Well done, well done...and if it means anything, you're giving me inspiration to continue with my own work.
ReplyDeleteBRAVA! BRAVA!
and for now, enjoy the silence. :)
you're making me hot with all that blackguard-y talk. yowza.
ReplyDeletep.s. congratulations, sweet girl! now go drink some wine.