Monday, August 14, 2006

Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Vermont anymore

Across the river from my home is a place where domesticated deer, golf enthusiasts, prolific geese and yours truly get their jollies. You would, too, if you were closer. Save the golf balls and bird poop, the place is GOD’S COUNTRY, as my Montana friends up north might say. Every morning, I pull back the curtains and check to make sure it’s still there while I wait impatiently for my coffee to brew. It’s an enduring ritual. Only, yesterday morning, Allan pulled them back for me and said, “You blinked.”

“I what?”

“Blinked.”

And that’s when I noticed. Some of the leaves on the branches on the trees on the golf course’s edge are turning that yellowish-green already. That yellowish-green that denotes FALL IS COMING.

*me squinting at the calendar*

“It’s August 13th, Sweetie,” he said while handing me my coffee.

“That’s what I thought…A little early isn’t it??”

“Well, not in Vermont.”

But Vermont is a good EIGHT states from here, depending on what route you take. And I vehemently say it’s too early. For EVERYTHING and ANYTHING FALL… EVEN in Vermont.

Isn't it bad enough that school starts a WEEK from tomorrow? And that my six-year-old little boy will be getting read for his first day of Kindergarten in EIGHT days?! In THREE days we’ll be embarking on an official, honest-to-goodness vacation — hotel rooms, swimming pools, train rides, motion sickness and the likes. Maybe it’s because vacation is as foreign a word to me as exercise, but I swear just yesterday, it felt like were a MONTH away from our mini-trip. Instead, I am a MONTH and FOUR DAYS away from a Booksellers Fall Trade Show that I’ll be attending.

FALL. It’s looming like a big ol’ Vermont rain cloud off in the horizon… if Vermont had horizons.

Anyway, thinking about all the stuff that’s plumb-ready to happen made me reflect upon the things that have ALREADY happened this short summer, all of which I was remiss to tell you about:

I had to take Kyra to the emergency room because she broke out in hives from antibiotics… well… we THINK it was from the antibiotics. The girl likes her rashes. And wears them quite often.


And I had a mole removed from my left shoulder. Unlike poor Dooce’s, mine was benign. And, as you can imagine, AT LEAST a hundred sighs of relief ensued. (I thought about putting the picture of my scar, but it's not worth it... it was THAT insignificant.)

Upon my request, I was transferred to another field office fifteen miles closer to my front door, as opposed to the 35 it was before. Bummer of a deal. See, now I’m full-time again. No more napping on the couch while trying to watch reruns of Family Feud just before children-pickup time. No more snooping on the neighbors playing hooky. (Although most are pretty darned retired to be hookying from anything.)

Also, Rosetta Stones has been registered in the Library of Congress, and there’s a big, fat official ISBN number laying in wait! WOOHOO!

And I got this message back from my publisher a few days ago: "Unless something major comes up in the review process, I doubt you will need to make any additional substantive changes to the manuscript." DOUBLE WOOHOO!!

Things are good at Camp Dix (I stole that from you, Doris.). So I suppose I should force myself to deal with the fleeting summer thing. But God forbid I blink again… I’d hate to miss Thanksgiving.

What have YOU forgot to post about this summer? Inquiring minds want to know.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

  1. my baby got stung by a bee on Saturday. and it was my fault, evidently. (qualifying that; I was "on watch" at the playground, where he working his way up to the slide, just like he'd done the day before, only there weren't a FRILLION gummy bears laying in wait, with a stupid, dying bee crawling on the dumb gummies, the day before. and my husband wasn't there the day before, seeing him crawl madly up the stairs toward the slide, with no gummies/bees in sight. and things had been fine. I didn't know I'd have to inpsect the stupid equipment for potential needles and condoms before letting him near it. it's a *playground*, fer chrissake. sarcasm, bitching, done.)

    I appreciate the opportunity to vent, C. thank you.

    and also, I hope you have a really nice vacation. and that there's a moment or so of relaxing time in it for you. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees turning in August? Could it be related to strange weather this summer? I don't watch weather reports for Vermont, so I don't know what they have had, but a dry season as most of the US has had will cause early turning of colors.

    The news is GOOD!! I'm kekeping my fingers crossed for a smooth slide into home base for the book! I'm excited for you! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to say . . . the baby is adorable, rash or no! Yes, she wears even a rash well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!
    i am so excited about your book!
    i am equally thrilled the mole thing turned out good.
    hope the baby is feeling better. have a fantastic mini-vacation.
    i saw some leaves turning here too and has the same reaction.
    bummer about work - but saving on gas is good.
    love ya catherine!
    you got a good full life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUCH, D!! I'm here for ya, babe.

    Lyn, our strange weather has been the exact OPPOSITE of the rest of the country. I think we're, like, two inches of rain above normal... which is significant in these parts. Oh, and THANK YOU, Kyra is pretty adorable, isn't she.

    Cameo, it's always a pleasure hearing from you, woman! Thanks for all the well wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should mention leaves changing already. Yesterday, I noticed a liquid amber here starting to turn red and I was thinking, "Hey! What the hell?"

    Glad that Kyra is okay, poor little one...

    And congratulations on hopefully NO MORE EDITS! YYAAYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok 1st of all your poor baby and those hives!!! omg i'm glad shes ok!

    and right now sinc ehannah's not in school fall means nothing to me really. and our weather is still summer til like november! so its not really fall here. but i know once she starts school fall will be a prominent season in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you. I'm up to my proverbials in work and I know that I can alwasys count on your blog to transport me away for 10 minutes or so. Though I am feeling guilty about using your daughter's rash as work avoidance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on all your good news! And I hope Kyra is rash-free soon.

    I agree - fall is coming too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope fall is coming soon. I can't wait for the hot 90 degree sweaty days of summer turn into the hot 80 degree rainy days of fall. Have I mentioned how much I love Florida?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo for hives!
    Yay for benign moles!

    If I was a good cheerleader I would have made that rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like just yesterday, that I was lying in wait for summer. And now, I'm counting the days 'til fall. Isn't it funny, how that happens? Fall has always been my favorite season.

    Hope poor Kyra feels better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor little Kyra:( I hope it's the case where it looks worse than it feels.
    Fall?! I know it's coming. I just put it out of my mind. The Summer never seems to last long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't remember if I've forgotten to post anything this summer...

    I can't wait for fall. I am so ready to have some decent days where I don't have to worry about being hot.

    Hope that rash is better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is getting mighty chilly in Montreal too. Like, wear a sweater chilly.
    Oh, it's a comin.

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com