Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I’ve thrown out my bottle so I can soothe the crying baby

My name is Catherine Dix, and I am an addict. A take-a-long-swig-between-meetings-and-while-dinner-is-simmering-and-as-I-struggle-to-
shove-out-a-paragraph-and-ALWAYS-just-before-bedtime BLOG addict. Mommy off the Record eloquently wrote about this, back when I, personally, was still very deep in denial. Back when I did the addictive-behavior type thing by convincing and justifying my bloggy behavior (visiting AND writing) as an insanity-buster and, therefore, just as required to my humanhood as was reading Catcher in the Rye.

So, now that I’ve come to terms with my DISEASE, I’ve been trying to claw my way out of that middlespace, the place Hypergraffiti has referred to as “The Waste Land,” a place where avoidance and procrastination sing and play and give a big, stiff middle one to responsibility. You know the place? Shame on you if you don’t. It’s like the bathroom. You get in and you get out. But you never avoid it altogether. OR. Live there. Me? Lately, I’ve been setting up camp, hanging drapes and hunkering down as responsibility bangs on the door screaming, “ENOUGH ALREADY, DAMMIT! YA MIGHT AS WELL COME OUT! I AIN’T GOIN’ NOWHERES!” (My responsibility starts talking like a drunken hillbilly when he’s upset.)

But, like a true addict, sitting at a computer with a high-speed internet connection is like waving a bottle of tequila in the face of an alcoholic. I wanna go VISITING! I wanna COMMENT! I wanna reach out and touch all of yous!

This here is a post, so I obviously haven't quit cold turkey. I also read my feeds, and so I know how excited and nervous everyone is getting over BlogHer’s imminent arrival. And I’ve got my own narrative in mind to add to Moobs’ Delusional Existence Story Competition.

But my by-far MOST DEMANDING child is wailing in the background — Rosetta Stones. It’s begging for some much-needed one-on-one time. My publisher is working on a cover and is rounding up people to review my final draft. All that’s lacking in calling this thing DONE is… well…me.

So, to everyone I usually visit and have not recently… I am reading your stuff! And I look forward to revisiting you in The Waste Land where I can comment with a clear conscience, once I’ve sufficiently indulged my baby.

Meanwhile, THANK YOU for stopping by in the interim to wish my kid a happy birthday!

P.S. I think Antonia liked #25 the best, C. And was most embarrassed about all my typos. Evidently it’s Whispering TO Witches. And BECOMING Naomi Leòn. And imaginary friend #1 was MICKEY, not MIKEY. And she burned a HOLE into my couch, as opposed to a WHOLE….Ah well, at least I know she’s got a few marketable skills.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. No need to explain yourself. I know you are a busy woman in many ways, and that book needs your attention so that I can go out and BUY it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean: that cocktail of compulsion and pseudo-obligation. You'll have time enough though when you're pulling in that J K Rowling Moolah and we are employed as your blogging flunkies. Tend to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so totally cool that Antonia caught all your typos. She will most certainly be a writer!

    And thanks for the linky love :) No worries about not getting around to comment. Like Moobs said, tend to the book. That is of utmost (upmost?)--sheesh I need Antonia's help here for a spell check--importance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad to admit, but I'm an addict, too. If you know of meetings to lick this thing, please don't send them! I'm having entirely too much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it, make us all jealous and blow us a kiss as you whiz by! We're right behind you, so if you start to slip, we'll be right there to...scatter in different directions and watch you go tumbling down. (No, honest, keep going. We love you.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could always substitute another addiction in for the blogging....

    But at least blogging isn't unhealthy....YET!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lady, the baby is priority. love it. cuddle it. it will reward you in the end.

    we'll always be here when you feel sufficiently prepared to let your baby toddle into the waiting arms of the publisher, and you're ready to throw down with le blogging. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so right there with you. But no! You can't quit entirely. I just found you. And I think you're HIlarious. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com