Our already-long list is expanding like the universe. Or a black hole. Or maybe the amount of time it takes to get out of the house with four kids in tow. The infamous list I am referring to is the array of objects, small and large, that WE keep near and oh-so-dear to our bosoms. WE would be Emma, Kyra, Jonah and me. Allan and Toni don’t seem to be woobie-type people. So they aren’t part of this particular WE. And, actually, Kyra BARELY makes the cut. She’s attached to bananas. Keys. My pots and pans. And, yes, she will HURT you if you try to pry them from her vise-like grip. But she doesn’t search the house for these best beloveds when she’s under the weather. And she doesn’t hyperventilate if someone actually NEEDS these things when they are not in her possession. Thank God for small favors. But the fact is that she DOES gravitate toward them. And kisses them gently when she reunites with them. And coos sweet nothings into their make-believe ears.
Emma and Jonah, on the other hand, are HIGHLY attached to certain inanimate objects. And by highly attached, I mean these things are as good to them as air. For Emma, it’s two baby blankets, one beaded heart necklace. And shoes. Jonah’s more of a stuffed animal kinda guy. He needs his stuffed rabbit named Tiger. A stuffed snake named Turtle. A stuffed bear named Cutie. And ROCKS. Oh, and let me not forget the empty wipie containers.
You might think this sounds excessive. But I kid you not. They ARE woobies — they make them feel safe, secure and comfortable in this dog-eat-dog world we live in. They help them to COPE much the way Prada apparently helps the devil. And they loathe having to leave home without them… but, sadly, my kids are slowly learning that the world is not very accepting of children who carry around empty wipie containers. Or a suitcase full of stuffed animals, for that matter. Day cares tend to accept children with attachments to things like blankies. But TWO blankies?? And her mother’s Sketchers?? It’s a little much even for the most altruistic day care provider.
I am no one to judge on this topic. I have had my FAIR SHARE of woobies. My favorite was a blue blankie that later became nothing more than an off-white scrap of softness. Along with a bear you might remember me telling about. Many, many BOOKS. And now my husband, although it’s best not to count him, seeing as he is HIGHLY animate. But lately my greatest source of angst and strife is derived from something called a flash drive. You know, one of those USB thingies?? Allan calls it a memory stick. Whatever it is, it is now MY LIFE!!! And it turned up missing two days ago. I normally carry it in my pocket, or around my neck, feeling for it several times a day to make sure it hasn’t gotten afraid and scurried off to hide. I pet it occasionally. In my defense, this THING really isn’t what I am so attached to. It’s what’s INSIDE of it — my soon-to-be-published baby. My NEXT-to-be-published baby. My MIGHT-to-be-published online blog entries. In other words, three quarters of brain material. Which is nothing to sneeze at, you know? The good news is that it turned up at the bottom of my laundry basket. (I KNEW it was a runaway.) The bad news is that now I have NO MORE EXCUSES for procrastinating in the writing department. Or blogging, for that matter.
Blogging… yet ANOTHER type of woobie.
Friday, July 07, 2006
Living in the land of milk and woobies
Posted by
Catherine
at
7:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Wow--all that brain power on one little flash drive! I completely understand why you would wear it around your neck AND pet it for that matter. You do have all of it backed up on hard disks right? My co-worker just found out all the documents on her flash drive were accidently erased the other day.
ReplyDeleteI email it to myself occasionally. Does that count as backup?? I'm just asking for big trouble, aren't I! Your poor co-worker. That's the sort of thing that nightmares are made of!!
ReplyDeleteI got one of those as a freebie for attending a luncheon at the Harvard Club in New York. I was the only one in the entire BUILDING wearing jeans, and I managed to spill half a pitcher of ice water on myself. And I don't even use the stupid flash memory.
ReplyDeleteAt my last job, I noticed a co-worker wearing his around his neck. I asked how much memory was there, and then quipped about how many Commodore 64s he was wearing. Geek humor, gotta love it.
I think my laptop is my Woobie.
My husband's iRiver MP3 player is totally his woobie! He never goes ANYWHERE without it.
ReplyDeleteLet' see-Ryan always has to have a book, Nathan has a stuffed tiger named Tiger, and Kaitlyn always wants a blankie of some kind, she hasn't picked a favorite. Me? I just stuff my purse full of every possible thing I could ever need depending on where I'm going.
My woobie is a small plastic figure of Gianfranco Zola. I take him in my bag to court.
ReplyDeletemgm - Commodore 64 -pah! I still have my Vic 20 with its awesome 3.5 k of memory.
Love the woobie post. I had a pink blankie when I was little. None of my kids did the blankie thing when they were babies except my littlest. I orchestrated her woobie love by putting her to sleep with the same silky blanket every night and after a few months of this she was firmly attached. I thought it would be so cute for her to have a blankie. Ha! What have I done? We can't go any where without it and if we can't find? Oh jeez, I don't even like to think about that.
ReplyDeleteAnd I hate to admit to being a dork but I don't know what a flash drive is.
I have such a deep, dark fear of becoming that attached to anything, ever again. my woobie used to be my journal du jour, and if it went missing, out came the requisite chunks of hair and fingernails. oy.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying desperately to keep my kid free of woobies, b/c I don't want to have to deal with the resultant meltdown.
unfortunately, I think *I* may have become the woobie. uh-oh.
The Lizard has become rather attached to a certain yellow and white rabbit/blankie/finger puppet. Can we get a big THANKYA, please. Muppet's actually very attached to it as well, since all he has to do is shake it and she bursts into baby giggles. His "real" woobie is PoPoTom, his stuffed purple hippopotamus (did I spell that right?) with ears that served as his pacifier for many many months.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteSuch impressive woobies listed here!
ReplyDeleteMarcie,
here is a picture of a flash drive. And you aren't a nerd. I only recently learned about these heavenly inventions myself... it's a floppy disk on speed and stuffed into a pink eraser-sized contraption.
Sorry, Doc!! (hehehe)
s'ok cathy--worse things have happened
ReplyDeleteI think Hailey would kill a puppy if it stood in the way of her beloved blankie. She adores it so much I don't know what we'd do if we lost it.
ReplyDeleteBooks as woobies...I'm SO right there with you.
blogging is mine lol. hannah's is these plastic horses she bangs around everywhere like they're galloping!
ReplyDeleteI have one (or three). I have to have this pillow that my g-grandmother made. I take it on trips and such. I've had it since I was four or five.
ReplyDeleteThere's also wine and blogging, but not in that order.
Thank god you found it!!! I would've been tearing the house apart. You have your work on other back-up too, don't you? I'm getting lazy, I need to now that you've reminded me.
ReplyDelete"And kisses them gently when she reunites with them. And coos sweet nothings into their make-believe ears." - LMAO!
My father raised me to be just RIDICULOUS about inanimate things. Once when I bought a new car when I still had my old one and we pulled up in the driveway with the new one, my Dad said, "It's a good thing she's facing the other way." - refering to the poor old car that I hadn't sold yet. I almost cried.