Friday, April 14, 2006

It’s all about the children

I’ve decided to emulate Mama Mia in that I am going to blog my six weird things by a THEME. When you’ve got off-the-charts weirdness, it’s probably best to categorize. Especially when part of your weirdness deals with a compulsion to categorize. So my six weird things are going to be related to children and/or childish things. And may this make you feel sooo much better about yourselves.

--I suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum (aka, MOTHER OF GOD, PLEASE TAKE ME NOW BECAUSE I’M GOING TO DIE OF STARVATION ANYWAY morning sickness) the first two times I was pregnant. Life has never been the same since. Now, I reflexively gag EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I brush my teeth or catch a glimpse of the movie A Walk in the Clouds. (you asked for weird, right?)

--I was in labor for FOUR days with my first child. F-O-U-R. In the Ozarks. With a doctor that didn’t believe in C-sections. Until my mother threatened to give him one if he didn’t change his belief system.

--All in all, I have had my gut cut open five times. Four for the removal of children, one for an appendectomy.

--When Allan is away from home, I sleep with my childhood teddy bear. He’s without stuffing, so it’s more like sleeping with a very small bear rug.

--When I was a child, I had this compulsion wherein I would recite the alphabet over and over and over and over… in SIGN LANGUAGE. It drove my grandmother batty.

--I WHOLLY believed my childhood best friend tried to contact me the day that she died. Unfortunately, I was in the shower and missed her call.

Now for the fun part… I tag my newest visitor SARAH! (I think I was supposed to tag six people, but I just don't have connections to that many blogs that haven't already been tagged, ya know?) Anyway, I look forward to reading all about your eccentricities if you're game, Sarah. Or eccentric. Or just plain bored.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. Labor in the Ozarks sounds hard enough but for four freakin days!? You deserve a medal for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. my. lord. Did you say hyperemesis gravidarum? I am SOOOOO sorry. I had bad m/s for four months with my son and it was hell. I can't even fathom what you went through.

    And you MUST post more about that four-day labor in the Ozarks. You must be made of steel, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i finally got through!!! don't know what it is, but your comment link hasn't let me in the last couple of days. anyway, glad your dad is better. and i'm with marcie on the whole 4 day labor thing. that's insane. along with the medal, the "doctor" should be shot! that's just not good for anybody to be stressed that long. glad you both made it through a-okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, I'm still stuck on the four day thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the moral of this story is:

    Do not have a baby in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually the moral of the story is this: If Catherine deserves a medal it's for insanity. Any normal woman would have sworn off men and, just for insurance, had all her female body parts removed after that first pregnancy. My only saving grace is that I was smart enough to move out of the Ozarks... an autobiography waiting to happen, Mama Mia. I couldn't possibly fit the whole experience into a post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMFAO @ being in the shower and missing her call. sad too. you're weird, but funny- so that makes it all okay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, came here from Marcie's site. I like that you did a theme Meme (that rhymes, doesn't it? I don't know how to pronounce 'meme').

    I had 3 c-sections and an operation to remove an ovarian cyst, so that's 4 times for my poor tummy.

    I just read your Kyra's 100 and by the time I got to the last 3 I had a lump in my throat! That was just great. Cute Flickr pics too.

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com