I’m baaaack!! And, by the way, I’ll probably be talking LIKE THIS!!! For a very long time because I finally met my publisher, and my first attending-as-an-author book fair couldn’t have been more PERFECT!! Not even if Janet Fitch and Johnny Depp (AS IF you needed a link...but it is GREAT FUN to ogle him) had shown up with OPRAH especially for me, outfitted with extra buttery popcorn and an invitation to be the next BOOK CLUB selection!!! Okay, maybe THAT would have made it a tad more perfect. But only barely. Because standing all on it’s own, all Oprah-less and Janet Fitch-less and popcorn-less, it was STILL freaking awesome. Weather. People. Food. The lodge. Even my gas mileage was radical. For me to use the word radical speaks VOLUMES.
The whole drive over there, I couldn’t shake that Milli Vanilli at the Grammy’s feeling. Like I HAD NO BUSINESS being there. I mean, my book isn’t even done yet. And there was going to be an Author’s TEA! And an Author’s Margarita MIXER! And I imagined every other author walking around with their new book tucked neatly under their arm, pulled out with one hand while their other hand reached for mine in a nice authorly meet-and-greet exchange.
Imagined conversation:
“So, Catherine, is it?”
“Yes. Yes, it is.”
“I heard you were a young adult fiction writer.”
“Yes, I am.”
“I am as well!!”
“What a coincidence!”
“I would LOVE to exchange some ideas. But first, may I take a look at your novel??”
“Well… it’s still being revised, so I don’t have a copy with me YET… But… But… . But I believe in it, and I think that it will strike a nerve with young social outcasts, and…maybe I can take a look at yours if it’s okay, and… by the way, I love your hair!”
This is where I imagined said author would be looking over my shoulder at a make-believe fan anxiously waiting for her so that he/she can receive her make-believe autograph. And so, of course, said author being the charitable kinda gal that she is, would have to excuse herself from our make-believe conversation.
I also imagined everyone dressing like sophisticates and smoking cigarettes and drinking martinis and talking like honest-to-God card-carrying grown-ups. NOBODY who would ever post a picture like this on their website:
But it was nothing like that at all. Not to say that everyone wasn’t spiffied up and shiny, but the most sophisticated-looking woman in the whole “tea” room turned out to be the town librarian. There were no martinis or cigarettes. Well… there were cigarettes, but they weren’t the kind connected to the end of a carved ivory cigarette holder like I imagined. As a matter of fact, there wasn’t a HINT of pretention the whole weekend long. Everyone was humble and gracious and friendly and generous with their time and knowledge. And no one admonished me for my lack of bookage. Which was nice.
But the best part of the weekend was clicking my ruby slippers together and coming home to my new Mother’s Day present — a high-speed internet connection!! (Allan, you really keep outdoing yourself in the gift-giving department.) Oh yeah, and coming home to this:
And this:
And these silly folk:
And you!


welcome back and soooooooooo glad your weekend was fabulous!
ReplyDeletewelcome back and that sounds AWESOME!!!! i'm so excited for you!!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day! Sounds like a wonderful time. I'm always talking in all caps, so you're making me feel right at home.
ReplyDeletei didn't knwo you were trying to get a book published! thats so awesome!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the book fair went well, sounds like it was a lot of fun. Young adult/social outcasts? Are you going to be the next S.E. Hinton?
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys! And, being that "The Outsiders" was my favorite book in the ninth grade, I can only DREAM that critics will mention my name in the same sentence as S.E. Hinton. Even if they say "she's SUCH an S.E. Hinton wannabe," I'd be ecstatic. :)
ReplyDeleteSince I'm new around here, could you briefly tell me what your book is about? I spent many, many hours as a young person reading books like "The Chocolate War", so I'd like to hear more about what you're doing.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I added you to my blogroll!
Thank you, Elizabeth!! I'll be adding you to mine, too, since I've been getting your updates through the RSS Feed thingy anyway.
ReplyDeleteBriefly speaking: My book is about three high school kids who each discover life-changing things about themselves after their close friend is shot and killed. I guess you could say it's a coming-of-age story, but also a bit of a mystery that takes place in the forested area of southern New Mexico. When it gets past the "revising" stage, I plan to post an excerpt and/or short synopsis. Thank you for asking!!! :)
Elizabeth, what I MEANT to say is that I'll be adding you to my blogroll when Blogger decides to act right! ARGH!! I keep getting "page not displayed" when trying to change settings!! Anyone else getting attitude from blogger out there?!
ReplyDeleteYeah! I'm glad the book fair went well! I can't wait to get a copy of your book when it's done. What are the chances I might get a signed copy? :)
ReplyDeletePS. congrats on the high speed connection. I just got DSL (upgrade from dial up) and it made a HUGE difference.
Yay, another potential reader! Chances are excellent, Cristina. When it gets closer to publication, I'll let you know!
ReplyDeleteI'm still trying to figure out what that illustration is. Best guess: a mouse-duck hybrid spitting lightning onto a pair of disembodied boobs, one of which is in a tote bag.
ReplyDeleteYes? Close?
So were you mixing principally with publishers, other autors or *gasp* your public?
ReplyDeleteMoobs
All the above, Moobs. The majority being authors from every genre under the sun that I'd, sadly, never even heard of. The shame of it all...
ReplyDelete