
Moobs had this really cool idea for a blog post. He asked his readers to come up with a tenuous connection to a celebrity. The cheesier the celebrity, the better you scored. Anyway, it sounded fun, so I began to beat my memory with a stick to find something.
I have to tell you, though, it was one of the more difficult tasks I’ve ever burdened myself with. Almost as difficult as the self-inflicted task of removing wallpaper. ALMOST. You see, when you and yours have never lived remotely near a coast of any sort, or you’ve never known anyone personally who’s job is or was much more glamorous than, say, a school superintendent. And you are somewhat reclusive by nature anyway, so conversations with loved ones (or otherwise) about tenuous connections to the rich and famous can aptly be described as unrevealed at worst, forthcoming at best… it’s pretty dang hard to come up with a connection to a famous person! Even tenuously. Even when the famous people are cheesier than Velveeta.
But I’ll tell you what doesn’t help AT ALL. My memory. It’s for crap sometimes. It’s funny the things I remember. But what’s funnier is the things that I DON’T. (Well, for the sake of dignity, I choose to see this as funny.) For example, I remember being called chunky for most of my childhood by some people. But I can't tell you EXACTLY who those word aficionados are, for some reason. Also, I can remember the face of the girl I hung out with when I went to middle school in Las Vegas. I remember her London Fog coat that she never took off, her oversized glasses, her matted curls that I always wanted to pick the lint from… I can even remember her scent which I now know is a pretty typical scent for an eleven-year-old. But, for the life of me, I CAN’T remember her name. I KNOW, horrible isn't it?!
Now, in my defense, if you were to squish my entire history into a 24-hour day, my time in Vegas would average about 2.5 seconds. But STILL. How can I not remember this sweet girl’s name and yet I remember her hair lint?! Anyway, my point is that I think I DO have more tenuous connections than I am giving myself credit for. For example, I had a real estate agent who was a bodyguard in his younger days. He watched over some pretty famous people of the eighties… I’m PRETTY SURE they were famous. Hulk Hogan, maybe? Or maybe it was the Incredible Hulk actor... you know... what’s-his-face?? But there’s also a co-worker of mine who lived in Georgia and knew one of the ex-presidents… Reagan?? Ford?? Maybe Carter?? Very very frustrating. And then, of course, there’s my lovely husband Allan. He’s traveled the world over. And, now that I think about it, he’s lived on BOTH coasts… And, let me see here… because HE has a razor-sharp memory and friends in high and low places and therefore probably knows SOMEBODY with a halfway glamorous job, I’m SURE he could qualify me under the “tenuous connection” requirement… But has he shared those tenuous connections with me? Hmmm… I. Can’t. THINK! I’d ask him but, very unfortunately, he’s sleeping right now.
So in closing, I’d like to come clean here: even my final answer was iffy. I remember my dad coming home one day and saying, “Hey, I saw Liberace today! At the mall!” But the more I think about it, maybe he said, “I saw Liberace on a TV at the mall!” And that would just be way too tenuous, wouldn’t it? Actually, I think that would disqualify me altogether! Surely he wouldn’t have announced such a silly thing as Liberace on TV…
I guess I’m stickin’ with my story. Dad DID see Liberace. And it wasn't in concert. And I DID get nominated over at Moobs’ place, and I think I even got one vote. So a shout-out to Liberace and all his glorious cheesiness. (May he be resting in peace on a heart-shaped bed in a piano-filled heaven somewhere.)
Sweatpantsmom already participated, but I’d like to hear some other tenuous connections to famous cheesy people out there! Anyone? Anyone?
I have to tell you, though, it was one of the more difficult tasks I’ve ever burdened myself with. Almost as difficult as the self-inflicted task of removing wallpaper. ALMOST. You see, when you and yours have never lived remotely near a coast of any sort, or you’ve never known anyone personally who’s job is or was much more glamorous than, say, a school superintendent. And you are somewhat reclusive by nature anyway, so conversations with loved ones (or otherwise) about tenuous connections to the rich and famous can aptly be described as unrevealed at worst, forthcoming at best… it’s pretty dang hard to come up with a connection to a famous person! Even tenuously. Even when the famous people are cheesier than Velveeta.
But I’ll tell you what doesn’t help AT ALL. My memory. It’s for crap sometimes. It’s funny the things I remember. But what’s funnier is the things that I DON’T. (Well, for the sake of dignity, I choose to see this as funny.) For example, I remember being called chunky for most of my childhood by some people. But I can't tell you EXACTLY who those word aficionados are, for some reason. Also, I can remember the face of the girl I hung out with when I went to middle school in Las Vegas. I remember her London Fog coat that she never took off, her oversized glasses, her matted curls that I always wanted to pick the lint from… I can even remember her scent which I now know is a pretty typical scent for an eleven-year-old. But, for the life of me, I CAN’T remember her name. I KNOW, horrible isn't it?!
Now, in my defense, if you were to squish my entire history into a 24-hour day, my time in Vegas would average about 2.5 seconds. But STILL. How can I not remember this sweet girl’s name and yet I remember her hair lint?! Anyway, my point is that I think I DO have more tenuous connections than I am giving myself credit for. For example, I had a real estate agent who was a bodyguard in his younger days. He watched over some pretty famous people of the eighties… I’m PRETTY SURE they were famous. Hulk Hogan, maybe? Or maybe it was the Incredible Hulk actor... you know... what’s-his-face?? But there’s also a co-worker of mine who lived in Georgia and knew one of the ex-presidents… Reagan?? Ford?? Maybe Carter?? Very very frustrating. And then, of course, there’s my lovely husband Allan. He’s traveled the world over. And, now that I think about it, he’s lived on BOTH coasts… And, let me see here… because HE has a razor-sharp memory and friends in high and low places and therefore probably knows SOMEBODY with a halfway glamorous job, I’m SURE he could qualify me under the “tenuous connection” requirement… But has he shared those tenuous connections with me? Hmmm… I. Can’t. THINK! I’d ask him but, very unfortunately, he’s sleeping right now.
So in closing, I’d like to come clean here: even my final answer was iffy. I remember my dad coming home one day and saying, “Hey, I saw Liberace today! At the mall!” But the more I think about it, maybe he said, “I saw Liberace on a TV at the mall!” And that would just be way too tenuous, wouldn’t it? Actually, I think that would disqualify me altogether! Surely he wouldn’t have announced such a silly thing as Liberace on TV…
I guess I’m stickin’ with my story. Dad DID see Liberace. And it wasn't in concert. And I DID get nominated over at Moobs’ place, and I think I even got one vote. So a shout-out to Liberace and all his glorious cheesiness. (May he be resting in peace on a heart-shaped bed in a piano-filled heaven somewhere.)
Sweatpantsmom already participated, but I’d like to hear some other tenuous connections to famous cheesy people out there! Anyone? Anyone?


Congratulations on being nominated! I think being connected to Liberace in any way should get you the win. Even if your dad didn't actually see him, in person that is, just on TV. But still!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, if I can think of a cheesier tenous connection than Liberace, I'll be back to post another comment. But somehow I doubt it...:)
oh, oh, oh! I once had a friend call Sy Stalone's MOM on the psychic hotline thingy! Does that count?
ReplyDeleteIf not, Meat Head, from All in the Family, is my cousin. (Rob Reiner--now a Mr. Great Producer type, but Meat Head just seems a bit cheesier, doesn't it?)
i know some famous people, but they're not cheesy. and i'm related to someone famous, who's just plain nuts (hint; she only marries gay men). but cheesy celebrities - OH! i was once in an elevator with the guy who played Rosco Peeckeltrain from the Dukes of Hazzard TV show. and i won this trip once where i got to eat dinner with that chick that was on Martin. how's that for stupid, useless time spent in life?
ReplyDeleteI think Liberace just about tops the cheese charts on both sides of the Atlantic. Ask your dad if he was smiling - I'm not sure I've ever seen a photo in which he wasn't beaming.
ReplyDeleteI keep trying to subscribe to your blog via bloglines (because I love it!) but it doesn't seem to be working. Do you need to turn on your RSS feed ... er ... or something?
Now working - must have been me.
ReplyDeleteYES! I finally got ahold of my father who confirmed the Liberace-at-the-mall story... WHEW! I feel so much better now!
ReplyDeleteAnd, what's with everbody having famous relations?!
Glad you got it worked out, Moobs, and thank you for subscribing to me! I've recently subscribed to you, too, cuz you're flippin' hilarious!
My Mom met Meryl Streep when they were both in school at Vassar. She's not cheesy though. Ooh, I just thought of a really cheesy one! I saw that guy from the infomercial on how to get free money, you know the one with the question marks all over his suit. He was at the airport in Florida. That's super cheesy with a side of cheese whiz.
ReplyDeleteMy brother and I were on a spying trip around the furniture stores of Tottenham Court Rd in central London.We happen to be in that business and its reasonable to have a mooch around there once in a blue moon.
ReplyDeleteWe were standing in the doorway of one store, just deciding whether or not to go in when a tall dapper guy, dressed in smart trousers and an open-necked shirt, approached us and struck up a conversation.
He asked us if we could shed light on the level of anti-semetism in London, my brother is a very orthodox Jew, black hat and usual bits and bobs, me far less so.
We were a little nervous, concerned for the reasons behind his questions.
'Why do you want to know?' I asked, 'Well I work for Starbucks, and we have had some agravation over the last few weeks here'
It seemed a reasonable situation. Starbucks had just begun its serious assault on the British and European markets. I asked his name, 'Charlie Schultz' he replied.
'You don't work for Starbucks' I responded, 'You own them'
It was true, and when we looked back out at the pavement there was a phalange of black suited men carrying briefcases.
The conversation continued, and we tried to answer his questions, he seemed a really regular nice guy.
Finally he asked us a question, 'What do you people do?'
'Well we are just opening some furniture stores in New Jersey, in partnership with some European manufacturers, we are actually just visiting London like yourself, although we are both British born and raised' I answered.
'Wish you luck' Shultz said, 'Thanks' I replied, 'We kinda see ourselves as the European revenge for Starbucks!
He roared with laughter, and we parted.
This is so great! I just might have to do this. Hm, tenuous...I guess the one I slept with way back when doesn't count, right? ;)
ReplyDeleteI was part of a group that had dinner and drinks with Marilu Henner. The story and some photos are on my blog.
ReplyDeleteMy Dad's girlfriend's son is a Hollywood Stuntman. He worked on "You Got Served" and "Jarhead".
My husband's friend from High School moved to L.A. and become a movie Electrician. He worked on a movie called "Judicial Consent" which filmed a courtroom scene in an old courthouse in Detroit. We got to sit in the room while Dabney Coleman and Bonnie Bedelia filmed a scene. So if you ever see that movie, which is doubtful, during the courtroom scene I am sitting just behind the camera!
How about my post about how Gwyneth Paltrow's kid ate one of my kid's Goldfish?
ReplyDelete