First reading -- I’ve been doing entirely too much of it lately. Blogs. Books. E-mails. Obituaries. Obscure napkins in my purse. School notes that tell me I owe money for THIS and shouldn’t be parking THERE and haven’t returned THAT heretofore with my John Hancock beautifying the bottom of the very important page, please see attached, Little Miss Lazybottom. Here is what I have NOT been doing, like my profile description suggests: Writing. My second novel, the one I nearly completed during NaNoWriMo, has been collecting dust in the corner of my flash drive. I don’t know why exactly, except that I want to put the DONE stamp on novel #1. But for all intents and purposes, novel #1 really is baked. It’s just not ready to serve, as I’ve mentioned 1,893 times in previous posts. (YAWWWWN) We’re only waiting on the finishing details now… the plastic wrapping, the twisty ties and sale sticker, the endorsements that tell you how fresh my ingredients are and how yummy and good-for-you this novel truly is. It’s tortuously slow in coming. Or maybe it’s just that I’m a terrible waiter. As in somebody who sits around twiddling thumbs, as opposed to that person who serves you ribs at K-Bob’s. I’m exceptionally good at THAT job, thankyouverymuch. Or was once upon a time… if you don’t count that time I slipped and wasted two medium rare steaks and rice pilaf mixed with nails and hair as a side dish, but I digress.
Anyway, I’m tired of waiting. Or procrastinating, as it were. I must move on to novel #2. Maybe I’ll even revisit novel #1 and a half in all its tired tiredness. Wake its ass up. It’s spring for cryin’ out loud! Who cares that there's still fresh snow on the ground and well-below freezing temperatures every morning. No more napping just because spring is dragging its heavy feet around these parts.
P.S. There is one more thing I still have to read before I officially move onto writing… how to change blog hosts. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I am a Blogger IDIOT. But it’s getting pretty ridiculous when I can’t even post a comment on my own blog. The final straw was when Blogger ate my little girl’s picture. In one giant, slobbery gobble, her beautiful face decked in beautiful birthday gear disappeared. It’s beyond rude. It’s downright unforgivable.
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
On the subjects of reading, writing and Blogger’s transgressions
Posted by
Catherine
at
3:18 PM
Labels: Blog Biz, on reading, on writing, Ze Novel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Ate her picture?!?!?!
ReplyDelete*#$@%&#*@#*@ blogger! I knew I didn't like that place! ')
Not a big fan of slobbery...not in kisses, and certainly not in blogs. No me gusta!
ReplyDeleteI had the same problems a few days ago, then the pictures reappeared the following day. I have no idea.
ReplyDeleteBefore you change blogs, try starting a new one with a different host and link them together. I've heard complaints about every blog-server and I'm not sure it solves any problem to blog-hop.
Re: being a good waiter (I don't want you to miss any tips! LOL) I posted about being patient recently. It was on 4/24, "Karma," http://noendingjourney.blogspot.com/2007/04/karma.html. Being patient is a tough task. But in your situation, (and I've not published a book, so I'm shooting from the hip here) why wait? Get #2 started in the publishing process! You're going to have the same delays as you are with #1, so get it rolling now and start writing #3. I'm ready to read your stuff!!
I'm ready to bolt from Blogger, too. But I'm afraid a new host will be just as troublesome. I guess the devil you know...
ReplyDelete(Good luck on finishing your novel!)
I have trouble leaving comments on anyone with a blogger blog, especially when I'm on a different computer. No matter what I do, it won't let me leave a comment. Typepad seems a little better but my computer raises all sorts of security flags when I post as they are leaving cookies, I think. I am happy with Wordpress so far although some people say it eats their comments. Too bad all of those people in Eastern Europe trying to advertise on blogs have made it more difficult for the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteI don't think there's any host that's perfect but I've been soooo happy with WordPress so far. And the best part is that with one click of a button you can import all your old Blogger blogs, comments and all, into your shiny new WordPress blog. Yes, I'm pimping for WordPress.
ReplyDeleteIn other news, I know how hard it is to let go of one project and move on to another. Is your novel #1 actually being published and you're just waiting through that process? Or what is the deal? I know I often have trouble putting my head in the space of a new novel while the old one is out looking for a publisher (aka Getting Rejected). I have this nightmare image of eventually living in a house made of complete but unpublished manuscripts ... however you do just have to get off your ass and WRITE.
I'm editing novel #2 and starting outline notes and random rough scenes on novel #3 in the process. I did the same thing when I was editing #1. The thing is that I'm really glad I kept moving because now that I look back on #1 a year and a half after finishing it, I realize that it might not ever be published. It seems to be my learning curve book, full of lessons I get now but didn't then. So be it.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm with other folks in the comments: keep moving forward.
BTW, I put a link to your blog on mine. I love your posts.
Very good food for thought, everyone. I'm especially eyeballing WordPress now that you've given me the lowdown, Trudy. As for novel #1's deal, it's under contract with Central Avenue Press. Right now it's being reviewed and the artist is working on the cover... so I'm just waiting. And waiting. And WAITING.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Amy! Please allow me to do the same.
Thanks for the novel update - novel 2 already, wow, you are good.
ReplyDeleteLoved the wasted steaks imagery with nails and hair - ha, a lifetime ago, I did that with two plates of fish, chips and slaw - right in front of the customers - and as if the gut sinking embarrassment wasn't enough, I also enjoyed a lovely pasting from the head cook.
And here I'm thinking how little time I've had to read. I've got a bunch of novels I want to get into and no time. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI tooam thinking of bolting over to WordPress but like Sweatpantmomma says... Blogger is the devil I know... But if I post one more comment and it is eaten...I will scream...
ReplyDelete