To anyone who happens by this blog on their way to a useful destination like The Wrinkle-Proof Diet for your Skin article, thank you for your total and unnecessary kindness. Your visit here is akin to stopping by your obnoxious uncle’s place a couple of weeks after his divorce becomes final. I'm collecting cobwebs and smelling of stale beer. It feels a little like it needs a shower and some coffee, doesn’t it? Maybe some electric shock treatment for good measure. I’m just stagnant. No good, noteworthy reason, either. Just stagnant. If I were to summarize my current state of affairs into a mathematical formula, it would look something like this: 4 coughing, sneezing kids + approximately 30 mesmerizing ants in an ant farm + 1 unfinished novel – 1 handy husband and a working brain (because mine’s taken a jaunt to the state of Inertia) = 67 loads of laundry, 5 sets of chapped noses, one major disdain for my day job and a flagrantly neglected blog.
Let’s play the blame game, shall we? Yes, I think we shall. I blame the nice weather. It makes birds sing and trees bloom and mothers who are supposed to be sitting at their NONmobile computers all loathsome of life. I blame my dad, too. He had books like Shogun, Chesapeake, Sacajawea, The Exorcist, The Thorn Birds, The Clan of the Cave Bear, and Jonathan Livingston Seagull piled up in my bedroom, near the toilet, on the kitchen table and next to the TV. Maybe if it weren’t for the fact that we had ten times more books than toys lying around, I wouldn’t be such a STAGNANT person who’s now terrified of young girls with heads spinning that projectile vomit split pea soup. I blame Freakonomics, as well. It has convinced me that I, too, can have more books than toys lying around. Piled next to the TV, and in my kids’ bedroom, and on the kitchen table and haphazardly tossed in the backseat of my car, too. Because Freakonomics says it’s good for kids to be surrounded by those squarish objects filled with sheets of printed paper. Well… it’s good for them if you don’t count the fact that it can make them kinda STAGNANT later in life.
So I will be back… when I have something a smidgen more positive to say to or ABOUT this perilous world we live in. OR when I finish the laundry. You know… whichever comes first.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Wherein I blame a popular '70s horror novel and my father for not having anything to blog about
Posted by
Catherine
at
3:02 PM
Labels: a whole lotta nothin'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Have I mentioned lately how much I love reading your post? No? well I do. I am so glad you popped in for a little say...
ReplyDeleteYou're entitled to have a white-out every now and then, we all do! The world won't end! Maybe you could describe your 67 loads of laundry. The way you write, that might just be good enough to entertain us!!
ReplyDeleteA little B.O., maybe...but not as bad as stale beer. Come on. Don't be so hard on yourself. Take comfort in the fact that you're hilarious even when there's little to be hilarious about. And Lord knows I'll tolerate a little B.O. if it's attached to Hilarious! ;)
ReplyDeleteAnyone with four children, a house and a full time job-besides writing that pesky novel-has no need to apologize. And books--some of my best friends are books. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't read. I used them to escape life for a long time, to have a different reality, but not as much anymore as my life has settled down.
ReplyDeleteToo bad the 30 ants in the antfarm couldn't help out a little! They could make a dent in your workload.
ReplyDelete"stagnant" unfortunately I know exactly what you mean.
ReplyDelete