You know how sometimes you write a note to yourself and then fold it up into a pretty square and then stuff it into your jeans pocket and then completely forget about it until about the time you hear the rinse cycle of the washer start? And then you open the lid of the washer after it quits spinning only to find your pretty square note has not only tripled in size but has also sprawled itself out like toilet paper on the morning lawn??? Well. That didn't happen here. THANK GOD. See, I found my pretty square note in an old pair of jeans. A pair of jeans that didn't fit. Then did. Then didn't again. And then did. And I was going to wash them and wear them now that they fit again. But I managed to have a moment of sheer wisdom just before that, and so I checked the pockets and found this note. It was something I'd written for Emma, my third child, when she was probably a month old. Maybe less. Maybe not, though, because these pants wouldn't have fit me when she was a month old. Anyway, the creases of the paper were very worn, the corners very frayed. It looked like something that might have been written 30 years ago, as opposed to just three. The idea that the washer might have destroyed something so personal and corny and post-partumish, well... it breaks my heart to think of it. And because I know this letter is so fragile now. Because I'm aware of its worth just a little bit more than I might have been otherwise, I'm going to post it here. Now. For the sake of all prosperity.
Emma. She lays in her crib with a smile across her face before the light of a new day begins. "Pay attention," I tell myself. "Pay attention to the curve of her cheeks when she lights up the moment I walk into the room. Pay attention to the illumination of her eyes when my voice greets her after a long night's sleep. Pay attention to the exchange of recognition, the agreement of love, the relief in knowing we've been given one more day with each other."
I lift her to my breast and feel the satisfaction that comes from sustaining another human being. I kiss the hand that finds mine and hangs on as if it were lost and gratefully found. I smell the oil in her downy hair, the milk on her parted lips. I listen to the rhythmic swallow and watch as she rolls her eyes, finally shutting them.... Asleep again. Goodnight, my sweet, sweet baby. Until we meet again.
Corny or not, I was really onto something when I wrote that whatever-you-call-it. I KNEW there was good reason to be paying attention. You see, now she just pulls the covers over her head when the light of a new day begins. And she barks, "Not yet!" Or, "I'm not wet!"
Anyway... no more embarrassing notes that could be ruined, Sweetie. Just embarassing blog posts from here on out, 'kay? Happy 3rd birthday, baby.
Thursday, April 19, 2007
To the girl with the beautiful teeth and the perpetually disheveled hair
Posted by
Catherine
at
8:54 PM
Labels: The Chronicles of Emma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Ahh, that was so neat. Happy Birthday, Sweet Emma!
ReplyDeletehi
ReplyDeleteI saw you commented on "heartinsanfransisco"'s blog on the UK banning the holocaust from schools. I wanted to let you know this is FALSE. You can check the BBC and other news agencies.
I am British and am deeply disturbed that this report has been circulating - it is not true and will never be something acceptable in the UK!!!
I just wanted to set the record straight.
Thank you
Kirsty
Thanks, Boogiemum. :)
ReplyDeleteCursed Tea, I knew it had to be false. Hence, the shock in my comment.
Catherine, what a beautiful memory for your daughter ... someday when she can appreciate it. Maybe when she is expecting a baby of her own. So touching. sniff. :')
ReplyDeleteAwwww...that was beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Emma!
Nuh-uh! How is it that we've know each other this long and I am only NOW finding out that our three year olds were born on the same day?!?!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday little Emma.
Weird...
Happy Belated 3rd birthday Emma.
ReplyDeleteHow cool to have found that note. I love looking back through old notes I have. Many I can't remember even writing or imagine that I would put something like that on paper...(the teenage ones I find)
Ahh...I love it when I find notes in my pants. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Bday to your cutie patootie!
So sweet. We all need a reminder to pay attention now and then.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday to Emma!
I'm sure your Emma is as lovely as my Emma, and I'm sure you're still paying attention. Happy birthday Emma!
ReplyDeleteWhat an utterly precious find in an old pair of jeans. Such lovely, lovely words words.Indeed we shoudl all pay attention to such moments. They are so fleeting.
ReplyDelete