Monday, October 30, 2006

On your mark… get set… help me!

I spent this past weekend Swiffering floorboards, alphabetizing the medicine cabinet and organizing my refrigerator magnets into the shape of a smiley face. I prioritized my junk mail in order of most unimportant to least unimportant, trimmed my cuticles, washed the car and disinfected dangerously small toys, too. I did everything I will no doubt decide NEEDS TO BE DONE when I develop a particularly nasty case of Writer’s Blockitis in the next few days which will notoriously be exasperated by a vicious attack of Hang Fire.

Pull out any old dictionary worth its salt and you should find an unflattering picture of me next to the word PROCRASTINATOR. The good news is that I am savvy to this alter ego nemesis of mine and have now done everything in my power to thwart her attempts to sabotage MY attempt to win this year’s NANOWRIMO challenge. I know her like I know the back of her hand (it looks so much like mine). And so I have stocked up on vitamin C and Echinacea for when she suddenly feels a cold coming on. I went ahead and bought two-thirds of the grocery story while I was there, too. (even though I have declared November to be Eat Processed Food To Your Heart’s Content month just in case my inner demon decides this would be a GREAT time to learn how to make ratatouille.) I changed sheets and cleaned out my purse and finally finished reading March. I absentee voted, for crying out loud… even though I live a couple of blocks from my polling place. I’ve even enlisted the help of my oldest child. See, I don’t normally write until all children have been put to bed, and so Toni never really sees me plucking gray hairs and exfoliating my feet when I should instead be slaving over a hot keyboard. So I can’t actually assign her the task of WRITER ENCOURAGER. But what she CAN do is remind me to go pluck my gray hairs and exfoliate my feet while the sun is still out. Or better yet, maybe she could just do it for me! Either way, I MUST maximize the daytime hours so that I don’t have a long list of menial crap to divert my attention once my babies are whisked away by Mr. Sandman and the evening becomes my imagination’s for the taking. I suppose I could just seek the aid of some strong prescription medication to quell my anxiety. But, in theory, I will be a lean, mean, writing machine and, theoretically speaking, wouldn’t want my inner drama queen desensitized, either. What to do. What to do. I don’t actually SOUND anxious, do I?? A sane person might actually conclude that I don’t even LIKE to write. Oh, but I do! I do! It’s deadlines that make my skin crawl! And yet I NEED THEM. Even if they give me cold sores. And restless leg syndrome. And chapped lips. And zits. Is it just me or is it kinda hot in here?! How many days are left now, TWO??? ONE???

In case I forget to tell you later, Happy Halloween!! Happy Veteran’s Day! Happy America Recycles Day! And the happiest Thanksgiving to you EVER.

Good luck, fellow participants!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

  1. I am so in awe that you are going to do this daily blogging thing. I thought about it, but when I realized I was sweating just thinking about it, I decided against it. Maybe next year (talk about procrastination!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'll trade your writer's block for my housekeeping block!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! next time you get the block - hop yourself on a plane and come over here! i have a butt-load of things you can organize! plus, it's always more fun cleaning other people's stuff.
    and then the next time i have an issue i'll go help you!
    between the two of us we should have our houses frickin' spotless in a week or so!
    we just need to figure out how to use the trips as a tax write-off! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I comeover to your house and sit on the sofa and cheer you on?????
    Yeeeeheeeewww... GO CATHERINE!!!!!
    Write on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least there is a silver lining to that procastination of yours. Getting all those little annoying chores that never get done....done! I think I need some writers block

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hate when i procrastinate but i do it all the time it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catch your breath! Geez, can you come do some things for me? I'll cheer you on. Like a life coach I will be your writer coach.....

    Go, Go, Go Catherine and GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the MUCH-NEEDED support, ladies! Figure out that tax write-off business and I'll clean all ya'lls houses, Cameo!

    Coffee break over. I'll report progress later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello fellow procrastinator!

    I have a freelance job staring me in the face which I haven't started on. However, my kitchen is spotless and I will soon be leaving for a unnecessary trip to Trader Joes. (Exfoliated feet? I must do that upon my return.)

    And 'Eat Processed Food To Your Heart’s Content' month? It's a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I procrastinate too. I turn into a strange person when I am. I don't even recognize myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So where's that progress report you promised?? How's it goin? :) Procrastination or not, I admire your committing to this. You rock! Any chance you'll tell us what you're writing about?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never fight writer's block. Take a walk. Buy some shoes. The more you try to will yourself to the desk the more the subconscious resists.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, it's YOUR fault I'm ignoring my children in favor of my keyboard. If it weren't for you, I'd have never checked out the website and gotten sucked in.

    I hope you're having fun - I'm having more fun than I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're my hero. Seriously. But more importantly, when do we get to read this?

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com