By now it should be no secret that I am at present a government-employed conservationist by day, a blogger novelist by night. Between day and night I also serve as a can opener, a fly swatter, a pooper scooper, a washing machine, sometimes I’m nothing more than a potato, but this is not my point. My day job. It really is rewarding work. Cut out the torturous bureaucracy and it is downright enjoyable when you do the math and figure out how many TONS of soil you have helped save from eroding off of valuable cropland every year. Or how many THOUSANDS of acre-feet of water you’ve kept from being pumped from the ground. But the red tape. Ugh. Sometimes, I want to roll myself in it and hop into a tree and just play like I’m a really big caterpillar cocooned, until my wings are fully grown so that I can then fly away to a warm beach off the western coast of
I spent the majority of my day taking up the gauntlet with Outlook. When I finally threw in the towel at 4:30 pm, I still had 232 items left in my inbox. 170 in the deleted folder. 111 in the “Keepers” file. 303 Sent emails. And several sub-folders loaded with CRAP. Crap I’ll never look at again because when I do, I start feeling achy all over, like I’m coming down with flu.
Is the private sector any better? I really have no clue as I’ve been with the government since my sophomore year in college. Either way, my problem isn’t so much about how much work-related emails I get, so much as it’s how much happiness I’m deriving from them. Because, something tells me that if I had 232 messages in my inbox related to publishing/writing/marketing. Or, hell, BLOGGING for that matter, I’d be kinda siked. But I don’t. Instead, I have things that say, “IWM Maps” or “SCIMS exit procedures” or “Clipping MrSID files” in the subject line. Which is another issue altogether. THE ACRONYMS! Omigod, THE ACRONYMS. Are we THAT lazy? Sometimes the acronym is twice as cumbersome to remember than the actual phrase being acronymed… NOPHNRCSE. <-- It’s real. And once upon a time, I was a member.
Don’t get me wrong. I know I’ve got a good gig with Big Brother. Because of him, Toni was able to try out ballet for a couple of years before deciding that soccer was more her thing. And Jonah got a Spongebob bathrobe for Christmas, like he always, ALWAYS wanted. Emma has more shoes than I do. And Kyra… well, Kyra gets to eat as many servings of dad’s meatloaf as she can handle without puking. And, again, I’m doing my part to preserve our natural resources. Who could ask for anything more?
*ahem*
Me. I want more. I want to write you a story that’ll keep you from eating and sleeping and showering because it’s so friggin’ compelling you just can’t part with it for much more than the time it takes to wash your hair. I want to wake up every morning, my heart racing at the prospect of “going to work.” I want to ride in Oprah’s limo! I jumped the shark just now, didn’t I? Anyway. I’m working on it. I have GOT to try. Somebody out there wrote a screenplay entitled Ghetto Dawg PART 2. And then somebody else said, “Hey! I will PAY you for that masterpiece on paper, yo!” And it became a movie. And got better ratings than The Pacifier. I’ve never seen it, and so I’m not tryin’ to diss on the movie, Ms. Ghetto Dawg Writer. But the title. You made it out of the gate with that title!! Not only that, but as a PART 2!!
And so I’ve GOT to pursue the dream. I’m better at the dream than I am at blogging, anyway. If I tried to blog-write like I novel-write, I’d never post anything because I proof the holy hell out my novel in an ongoing effort to make it better. Always making better.
So there's this wave that has been gaining momentum inside of me. It’s going to crash any day now. And when it does, I will be working like Conchita to load it all up and take it to market. Conchita! You know, Juan Valdez’ hinny, the one that carries all those harvested coffee beans to market?
I swear I'll be working on my blogging techniques... someday.
But before I go, thanks for the sweet comments last post, guys. My kids will read them when they're all grown up and be all, “Wow, they really did love you, woman.”
By the way… the acronym at the top?? A free autographed first edition of Rosetta Stones to whoever is game enough to try figuring it out… delivered next spring, of course, when it’s scheduled to debut. Hint: the I is for IS and the N is for NOT. Another hint: The B is NOT for bureaucrat.


I'm a gov't bureaucrat too so I totally get the red tape. Totally. Ugh. And the emails and the acronyms. But I have also benefited from great benefits, job security and the rest of it so I also really appreciate the job and have no intention of leaving anytime soon.
ReplyDeleteBUT - I also would love to follow a dream. The dream of being a writer or starting my own business. Maybe someday I will. When the mortgage is paid and the kids are off to college. For now, I'll just live vicariously through you.
BINMF
ReplyDeleteBut it's not my fart?
I work in Healthcare...I totally know the horror of the never ending acronyms.
Blogging is not my forte?
ReplyDeleteI think you do just fine.
i too work for the govt. i know what you mean!
ReplyDeleteGreat, great guess, Miss Jenny. I utter that particular phrase more times that I care to admit. BUT Alabama Brands hit the nail on the head!! I'll email you as soon as I have a bound copy of RS to mail out. Thanks for participating, ladies!
ReplyDeleteHeh, seems like I'm always a day late and a dollar short. All I could think of was blogger is not my friend, and that didn't seem to make much sense anyway. You blog quite nicely, if I do say so myself!
ReplyDeleteDammit! I'm late, and I KNEW that acronym.
ReplyDeleteI'll buy my own copy, but you've got to autograph it. Deal?
Jenny, you're too good to me. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteAnd MGM? Dude. I'm gonna have a helluva hard time making any money because, seriously, I wanna just GIVE my shit to all you bloggers I love so very much. This is my long-winded way of saying: OF COURSE. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I had a Frenchman say to me, "Why do Americans use so many acronyms?" Good question. I guess it started in WWI when I'm sure they must have had to fill out all sorts of forms and, as you said, laziness may be at the base of it.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed all of the time on how many bloggers are getting books because of their blogs. I'm so jealous. Maybe someday you or I will be publishing a book based on our blogs. That's my dream.
Linda-A FRENCHMAN asked you why Americans use so many acronyms? *picks jaw up from floor* Living in France the past six years has taught me two things: 1. The French invented and perfected the art or Red Tape (Cathy, even you'd be shocked!) 2. If it doesn't have an acronym, it doesn't exist.
ReplyDeleteAcronyms are a common things here, more so than I ever found in the states: CDD, CDI, ASSEDIC, ANPE, CAF, SdR, JA, CCER, CDER, SAFER--just from our conversation this morning BEFORE we had coffee.
And Miss Writher Thang, don't think that I'm not getting a book too because someone else beat me to it! I have the champagne!
My new gig uses too many acronyms. I can't keep up with them. It makes me feel D.U.M.B.
ReplyDeleteI was convinced the last two words were MotherF**cker, until I read your hints. Now I have nothing.
ReplyDeleteYour job sounds cool. My job involves designing things so that people will watch bad movies, sit through awful TV shows and spend their hard earned money on crap. I am so going to hell.
Catherine, you're the shizzle...and I mean it. Or is it the shiznet? Either way, you're the shizz and that's a good thing. :)
ReplyDelete