Anyone who knows me halfway decently knows that I am an avid fan of novelist Joshilyn Jackson's writing. I have only actually read ONE of her novels -- gods in Alabama. But I read her blog as often as I check my mail, which is to say... TOO often. Anyway, exactly twelve days ago today, I announced a contest taking place at her blog. You may not remember because it was twelve days ago and you are people who are building houses and planning weddings and finishing off semesters and stuff, and so I’ll just refresh your memory a little… the object of the game was to write what lots of people assume about you based on your job or career or what-you-do-with-the-majority-of-your-time. It was fun reading about night nurses and librarians and MACHINISTS. *looks around to make sure nobody’s listening* Don’t tell anyone this, but I personally make no assumptions about machinists because I still don’t really GET what a machinist does.
But I think, all in all, there were approximately 37 entries. And so I’m very proud to have been chosen as the third place winner. The machinist beat me…as he well should have. But then again, the night nurse and librarian should have also. Anyway, I thought I’d show you what a third prize looks like:

...Because she knew I would be thrilled to write with a pink flamingo pen that she, too, has written with. (And you can never have too many Post-its.)
...Because they made everything in the package smell fresh and minty. And who couldn't use a mint now and again!
...Because I NEEDED pretty fridge magnets, as opposed to the "Pay no intererst until December 2005" Visa ones that are there now.
...Because she is kind and generous and all that is good. (And maybe because she knows that Arlene Fleet is one of my favorite characters EVER WRITTEN. And so, for the creator of such a character to address me by name, well... I don't even know how to gush about it properly.)
If you happen across me, THANK YOU, JOSHILYN JACKSON!!!! And LYDIA the Voter for finding my entry somewhat amusing!!


congrats to you! the flamingo pen is great!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Third place out of 37?! That is so awesome!
ReplyDeleteI'm lovin the flamingo pen too :)
Congratulations! One can never have enough Pink Flamingo pens, or Post-its.
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool Catherine! Love the prizes. I am getting my reading list for Summer put together, I'm thinking I should add Gods in Alabama.
ReplyDeleteYES! I would recommend it, Marcie. Thank you, everyone. Happy Weekend!
ReplyDeletecongrats on winning 3rd!
ReplyDelete