Many moons ago, I was indirectly tagged by Moobs, and then again more recently (and directly) by Mommy off the Record. But because of scathing pain and a need to meet deadlines, I’ve been acting like a bureaucrat, tabling the whole tag thing, the whole BLOG thing, for that matter. But I’m on the mend and in the mood to share, and so here are my tag rejoinders:
The direct tag first:
20 years ago, I was horrified because I noticed that my boobs were growing exponentially faster than the rest of my fourteen-year-old body. So much so that I felt I needed to start wearing jackets around the clock (even if it was 108 degrees in the shade), and walking with a hunch so as to not draw attention to “them.” While other kids my age were going to the city pool or playing in a girls’ softball league, I chose to stay home and read Seventeen magazine, trying to figure out how I would clothe my boobs in the fall when I would be entering the halls of the high school for the first time. Meanwhile, Seventeen, with all it’s lovely summer advertisements, convinced me that my jet black hair would look lots swankier with highlights. So I went out and bought me some Sun In, and some lemon juice (for good measure), and then spent the rest of my afternoons basking in the hot New Mexico sun with a towel around my neck and STUFF in my hair. Needless to say I started high school with D-cup boobs and hair the color of a MacGregor basketball. Very incognito.
10 years ago, I was sleeping. And sleeping. And sleeping some more. I’d just finished college and was mentally preparing myself for a lifetime career in government work writing waste management plans… in the Ozarks. I was growing out a very poor excuse for a Rachel haircut (that was still not the right color) and deciding that I wanted to write a novel.
5 years ago, I was packing up and moving to Colorado for an imagined life filled with skiing trips in winter. Rafting trips in the late spring. Neither of which has happened, by the way.
3 years ago, I was reevaluating my whole life. I was watching too much TV and realizing in earnest that I was no longer a Catholic.
1 year ago, I was recovering after having given birth to my fourth and final child. Oh yeah, and reeling from the idea that my finished novel actually made its way to a contract.
Yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before THAT, I was Infirmed with a capital I. I was jonesing for a muumuu and an efficient tranquilizer that would wake me (sans side effects) in two weeks.
Today, I am still a little dizzy. And shaky. And hungry for the first time in a long time.
Tomorrow, I shall try to get some sun, and maybe the mail.
Next year ,I plan to stay away from anything that even REMOTELY causes a week's worth of bed rest and a new wardrobe.
Next tag:
1) Why didn’t you think to say that at the time?
Ten minutes later you had the perfect comeback. What was it you should have said? Exact words please.
“You give new meaning to the word jackass.”
(2) A Damn Good Hiding
Have you ever hidden anything under your mattress? If so, what?
Yes. It was a highly-sought-after photograph. And my life’s deepest secrets. But the mattress (and photograph and secrets) were in my novel.
(3) Guilt Trip
Have you ever felt guilty about something for more than a year? If so, what?
Yes. I need to clean underneath the fridge, and it’s been gnawing at me for a year, at the very least.
(4) Mother Knows Best
Name one thing you kept secret from your mother.
My period. My very first period. It lasted TWO CONSECUTIVE months. I didn’t want to be hospitalized or labeled as “a bleeder,” so I went about business as usual and tried not to run so as not to draw attention to myself… or faint.
(5) Missed Opportunities
Is there someone from your past who, you now wonder, might have been your great missed love? If so, what are they doing now?
His name is Joseph. He owns his own sugarless cookie company (and did even back when I knew him). We went to high school together and graduated together, and now he’s gallivanting across the western world selling cookies to the rich and famous. He gave me a rose on graduation day and said he had always secretly liked me. I took the rose and then chose to stay with the boy I would later divorce.
(6) Poetry Please
What is the first line of the last poem you wrote?
“Like vacant chalkboards and clear, blue skies”
(I feel compelled to say that this wasn’t a poem about my gastrointestinal system.)
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
2 for the price of 1
Posted by
Catherine
at
9:44 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I like this whole post, but especially the link to Joseph's website. My Dad is diabetic and I'm on a low sugar diet, so I think I'll be ordering some cookies!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I have a new address for my blog, I moved to Wordpress.
You applied Sun-In to that beautiful hair of yours? Oh no.
ReplyDeleteInsightful answers across the board. I could never do that second meme since my parents read my blog, and I honestly don't remember which secrets I've divulged already (and which I have not).
And I do hope you are feeling better. Glad I could make you laugh over at my place.
Sun-In...wow. I just had a really bad flashback. Do they even make that stuff anymore?
ReplyDeleteI'm totally gonna sound like a guy when I say this but, "D-cups, huh? Wow."
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'd love to hear the whole poem you wrote if you want to share!
Great answers. I'd like to read the rest of the poem too. I can peruse it while I'm in the patent office queue registering the "indirect tag".
ReplyDeleteI came from the other side of the fence as a teenager and desperately searched the pages of Seventeen for a cure to my AAAA cups that didn't involve surgery. Unfortunately, I also didn't find my answer. I'm glad you did the meme, I learned a lot.
ReplyDeleteGlad I could send business, Joseph's way, Elizabeth!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mothergoosemouse. With every hour that passes, I feel more and more like someone who can ride a bike or, at the very least, take out the trash in relative peace.
Jenny: If Sun-In is still on the hair product shelves, I'd hope that it now comes equipped with this big orange warning label:
Not for fourteen-year-old brunettes!
MotR: The irony of it all is that now that I'm mature enough to dress/walk around in a d-cup with confidence and style, the d-cup has long since been replaced with a more practical b.... breastfeeding turned out to be the bane of their existence.
Moobs: trust me, you'd rather have a tooth pulled than to read the rest of that poem. It was one of those that looked really good with a glass of wine just before bed. But she was really ugly in the morning.
Carrcakes: I wonder how many millions Seventeen has made from teenagers in search of a miracle.
um, yeah. I was the polar opposite of you in the chestal region as well. I was referred to in jokes such as this: "what do you call Debbie going down a hill sideways? A Skateboard." "What do you call Debbie in the ocean? A surfboard." And other, equally delightful "jokes."
ReplyDeletenice meme answers. they're self-deprecating *and* funny.
You were right, we do have a lot in common. I hid my new breasts under a jacket and a slouch and I also did not tell my Mother about my period. Though my reason for doing those things was different. I didn't want to grow up.
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling all better:)
I can relate on the boob thing too. Other kids can be cruel about it. I didn't want to be 'obvious' and did the jacket cover/slouch combo too. I just wanted to blend in. Something about having a large chest made me feel huge all over, although now I know by pictures that it wasn't true.
ReplyDeleteSeems sad, now, looking back on how uncomfortable that all was.