Monday, June 05, 2006

Mommy’s Little Hypertensive Hypochondriac

“Mom, I have some bad news, and I don’t know how to tell you.”

“Bad, as in you’ve done something that will make my eyes implode and result in a punishment of some kind?”

“Uuhhh…No, bad like you are going to be sad for me.”

“Go ahead and tell me, and I’ll do my best not to be sad.”

“Well… you can be sad if you want to.”

“Okay, I’ll decide whether or not to be sad, but first tell me what the bad news is.”

“Okay…” (deep sigh) “I have high blood pwesha.”

“High blood what?”

“High blood PWESHA.”

“Oooh. High blood PRESSURE… Who told you that?”

“Nobody.”

“Then how do you know?”

“Because I feel pwesha.”

“Where do you feel pwesha? I mean pressure?”

“Evewywhere.”

“Son, where did you hear this phrase — 'high blood pressure'? On TV? Did you hear an adult say they had high blood pressure?”

“No, no, no! I just KNOW about these things.”

“Okay, so explain it to me…. What is high blood pressure?”

“Don’t you know?”

“YES, I know. I want to see if YOU know.”

“It’s when your blood has pwesha… geez, Mom.”

(Mom is quietly trying to figure out how to explain to Jonah that he’s more likely to have typyhoid fever than he is to have high blood pressure.)

“Maybe it’s just a headache.”

“No, it’s difwent…it’s like… pwesha.”

All right, how about you do this — after we hang up the phone, go drink some water. Lay down, and if you still feel bad after awhile, maybe your dad can give you some Tylenol or a head massage or something.”

Appropriate sniffling occurs here. “Oookay.

“So what are you doing, Mom?”

“I’m killing me some stubborn ants.”

“What does stubborn mean?”

“It means difficult or persistent.”

“Oh... Kinda like my high blood pwesha.”

“No...Yes… Sure…Maybe, son. We’ll talk about it when you get back home.”

If you know of a class that teaches mothers how to be quick on their feet when dealing with imaginary hypertension, could you pass me the syllabus? Feel free to share the antidote for curing stubborn ants, as well.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

  1. Oh my god, that is so cute that I need to leave work immediately and go see my babies. Thankfully I've only got 10 minutes left.

    Difficult or persistent, like his blood pwesha. I'm giggling again. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer to the second question is: an anteater. Can't help with the syllabus but why would you want to be any more nimble? Who would want to block that fantastic creative flow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really laughing out loud right now. Can you please upload an audio of him talking about his blood pwesha?

    So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Catherine, this one had me laughing too. Maybe you can have him do one of those blood pressure machines at the drug store to help ease his mind. "Pwesha". That is so damn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hysterical. I can't wait to hear what comes out of my children's mouths. Too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, that's beautiful! i love it when their little old souls come out. and they're so serious about this stuff too!
    darling. absolutly darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, Moobs. Nimble is oftentimes overrated. (BTW, I wanted desperately to do your tag, but damn if I'm not DROWNING in crap over here right now! DROWNING, I tell you.)

    i see a future post with my son's voice in it, MotR. I have to do this quick before his cuteness withers into nothingness.

    And what a GREAT idea, Marcie. In fact, that's probably where he heard about blood pwesha in the first place... yes, yes, I'm convinced now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can thank the pharmaceutical industry for the fact that your son knows about blood pressure. I am just PRAYING that my sons don't see an ad for Viagra and ask me what erectile dysfunction is! HAHAHAHA!!!

    Thanks for leaving me a blog comment. Yes, it's true, you can come to mid-Michigan and go straight to Hell! Um, the town of Hell, in Michigan, for anyone reading this who has no idea what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL!! That was sooo damn cute, I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You handled that beautifully. I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac/worrier and probably would have dialed 911.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is hilarious. I can't wait to hear how he tells you he has mononucleosis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stubborn ants can be thwarted and/or killed without pesticides by using Avon Skin So Soft Oil,
    believe it or not. We've used the lotion as well.
    However, I myself am still looking for the cure for a stubborn, incredible imagination-prone kid.
    I love your blog, by the way. Great writing and pictures

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com