I never thought I'd say this, but I long for the days when Toni's pastimes included sucking on her big toes and attaching herself to my leg. She's long moved on since then. She's no longer entertained by the likes of The Teletubbies. Or Barney. Or my purse, for that matter. Now? Now it's all about soccer. Which I suppose means that I am an honest-to-god Soccer Mom, right? Isn't it interesting that nobody ever called me a Peek-a-boo Mom back when my days were spent startling Toni with bug eyes and a stupid grin around the clock?
Anyway, this weekend, I put aside my selfish need to sleep in order to make my daughter a "CARB-LOADED BREAKFAST" well before the summer sun revealed itself. And then I drove her to the soccer park. And watched! And cheered! And drove her home! And then did it all again the next two days! It was a soccer tournament. But my point here isn't to whine. I'm actually very impressed with this girl, my oldest, most maturest child. Not very long ago, I was telling her that her shin guards were upside down. Or I was pulling her hair back into a ponytail and helping her with the cleats and making sure she had her water bottle and saw that she was wearing an undershirt if the weather was chilly. I was looking at her and going, "Wow! My little girl is playing soccer!"
Now? Now I go, "Wow! All she needs is a driver's license and I am SO done with my job here!" She goes online and checks the weather herself. She looks out the window to confirm, touches the glass for temperature, walks outside and FEELS how cold it is... Antonia fixes her own hair, too, with hairspray and elastic headband and a chic-looking bun/ponytail thing. She has her water bottle chilled and ready to go. Her bag is packed with a sweatshirt, flip flops, some cash, and sunscreen. Her shin guards are right side up. Her foot tapping lightly. She is waiting at the door, waiting patiently for me to brush my teeth and do MY job... which has boiled down to CHAUFFEUR. She doesn't even need me to load her with the carbs if the truth be told. I do it because I can't very well have my daughter making her own oatmeal and toast while I sleep an extra half hour now can I? I am a soccer mom. Soccer mom, that's me.
Monday, June 09, 2008
It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it
Posted by
Catherine
at
5:45 PM
Labels: A girl we call Toni, Moi
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hooray for your girls! Growing up with a fantastic lady to call Mom!
ReplyDeleteYou're growing up to be a good mom! :D
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing to see our kids grow up into self-responsible young people. It makes for a bittersweet experience, doesn't it?
i realized today that i need to give the boys a bit more space to develop into themselves.
ReplyDeletei think if i let them be more responsible, then they will be more responsible.
it's a simple concept really, but one i have a time struggling with.
glad to know it will all be alright.
thanks for being reassuring words in this bumbling ride.