First off, THANK YOU, readers. I had mentally prepared myself for an onslaught of "Dude, I don't even share that kind of personal information with my HUSBAND. Why should I tell you whether or not I color my hair, much less WHY." So your generosity of personal information and compliments and food-for-thought was like a totally unexpected economic stimulus check ... albeit infinitely more appreciated.
Here was the breakdown of Pros and Cons of covering my gray as per my fabulous readers:
Pros:
It can make you feel happier.
It can actually HELP your hair.
Going to a pro can give you tones that look more natural.
It gives you a perk and a spring to your step.
It's fun to look different at different times.
Cons:
It's not free.
It can result in nasty-looking roots.
It involves bad, bad chemicals.
Stinky, bad chemicals!!
It takes TIME and ENERGY (hard to come by with a herd of small children)
And the dying does not change your hair's coarseness, unfortunately.
So let me remind you that I am KIND OF FREAKING OUT ABOUT THIS SUDDEN BLITZ OF GRAY. Needless to say, those pros really look PRO to me. By the same token, I'm an Earth Mom Wannabe at heart and, as such, it's super hard to make peace with anything that is bad for the environment.
To further help me make my decision, I did some researchin' and found myself a couple of articles. There appears to be some gentler alternatives out there for anyone who wants to play with color without playing with chemicals. And one of the aforementioned articles claims that you can ask your salon about "natural" alternatives. The problem is that hair color isn't government-regulated and, hence, the word NATURAL is up for interpretation here in the U.S.. Which, I think ALSO applies to NATURAL apple juice and NATURAL granola bars and NATURAL chimichangas as well.
i.e. BEWARE OF THE NATURAL.
I've hear that Deepak Chopra has some interesting ideas about going gray. He believes that you can meditate your way to gray-less hair. But I suppose if I'm going to use meditation for purposes outside of inner peace, maybe I should request something a little less... superficial?? Like, maybe, no more allergies? Or... a puppy?
If I wasn't surrounded by friends and co-workers who live naturally and aren't falling for Corporate America's definition of beauty, the one that says you can always be younger, prettier, thinner, happier, maybe then I wouldn't feel this deep-seated need to be validated in my desire to be NOT GRAY. BUT. I am. And I do. and I appreciate knowing that you lovely ladies don't judge me for it.
I'll let you know what I decide. Yes, the Queen of Indecision is still NOT SURE. In the meantime, you can find me on the floor in the lotus position meditating on your answers.
Friday, May 30, 2008
To dye or not to dye, that was the question
Posted by
Catherine
at
6:03 PM
Labels: a whole lotta nothin', Moi, Paranoia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No, I won't judge you if you dye your hair, but I will judge you if try to meditate your way to gray-less hair.
ReplyDeleteNo judgments. You can always try and see what you think. I have tried henna before, too. I am not sure if they have salons around you that use that, but that is a fairly safe earth friendly option.
ReplyDeleteI still hold to the fact that you are beautiful the way you are- inside and out. :)
You're too funny! Catherine, calm down!! Whatever you do is the right thing!!
ReplyDeleteI am all in favor of salon-assisted beauty. But then again, I'm one of those Ayn Rand-reading Republicans.
ReplyDelete(Independent, I mean! I officially switched!)
(Oh, and HI!!!)
Dude, At least now I can rest sure in the knowledge that I'm no longer the cause of your grey hairs because I mailed off the CDrom with the enormous image files of your book cover on Saturday! They should be in CAPs hot little hands by the end of this week!
ReplyDeleteHOT DAMN!
oh just go fer it!
ReplyDeleteif you hate it, then never do it again.
if you love it, then keep it up.
if you have great issue with the process, then keep searching for something down your path.
once won't kill your good karma.
and if you choose to continue, then off-set with something else.
and we must have before and after pics.
I'm considering shaving all of mine off!
ReplyDeleteWould you like me to make an appointment for two?
Let us know what you decide...and be sure to include pics of your new "do" if you go for it. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteLet us know. Either way I am sure you'll be beautiful. I moved my appointment up 2 weeks so that I could cut mine back off and back to blonder. The sun lightens mine to a reddish blond tone so I might as well make it the color I like!
ReplyDeleteI've been AWOL for a while because of my recent move...hopefully I'm not too late to comment on this one! :) Dude. GO FOR IT! I dye my hair (Preference by Loreal...because I'm worth it...and because it's SO MUCH CHEAPER than going to a salon) and have been doing so for 6 years now. I dye it a color that is just a tad darker and more auburny than my normal color so it looks natural but is just a bit more fun than that which I was genetically blessed/cursed. If you do it yourself (or have your daughter do it...that's what MY mom did!) then it's not too expensive and re-touching your roots is really only just a step up in committment level to washing your hair in the first place! If you're REALLY nervous about it, try out a semi-permenant dye that washes out in a few washes...that way you can get a dress rehearsal in first. Good luck and let us know!! :)
ReplyDeleteha ha, you funny.
ReplyDeleteAnd I do semi permanent Aveda and it covers it fairly well, but my stylist is threatening a more permanent solution for those snarky grays that are getting more and more, um, widespread.