I recently submitted a post over at Mile High Mamas about what Christmas means to me. It hasn't been posted yet, but if you wander over there and read it accidentally over the next week, you will find that it bears little to no resemblance to anything that is gonna be mentioned in THIS post. That is because, while I (like so many of you) love Christmastime for everything NOT having to do with gifts, I do realize that gift-giving is a reality that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, I myself actively participate in the gift-giving tradition with indulgent vim and blatant vigor, much to the relief of my eldest children.
But discussing gifts FOR THE CHILDREN isn't really what I wanted to talk about. If you'd like ideas about gift-giving FOR THE CHILDREN, I highly recommend you click here and pronto because I do believe we are entering last-minute-shopping mode. This post is about last-minute-shopping for THE ADULTS in your life, the ones you would LOVE to surprise with something unexpected but have no idea where to begin.
Those who know me intimately have just had to put down their drink in order to clean their computer screen. You see, they've gone into the ugly laugh and have spewed out all the contents of their mouths. Catherine?? Giving out gift ideas?? The girl who gave her sister a housecoat when she SPECIFICALLY asked for a nice ROBE??? Yes. And get over it, kay? This is my blog and I will give gift ideas if I want to.
So let the idea-dropping begin, shall we?
For that person in your family who is constantly threatening to write a book, you NEED to be shutting them up with Martha Engber's Growing Great Characters From the Ground Up. I've had to reevaluate every character I have ever written since reading this thing. I am SEETHING ANGRY that she didn't write it, like, five years ago. In the form of words, Martha basically holds your hand and leads you directly to the book you never knew you could write. Once a person has read this, there's no more excuses. This book will separate the noisemakers from those that are truly at a loss on how to begin. By the way, I'm not just plugging this book because Martha Engber is one of the kindest humans I've ever met. Having said that, shouldn't we be supporting the good people?? P.S. If you go to her website and click on "My Book," you can find out where to send $16.00 to get a SIGNED COPY. Now, tell me that won't earn you big-time points with the writer wannabe in your life. P.S.S. An added bonus to buying her book is that there are NO recallable plastic parts.
Moving on.
Every parent needs BOB. No, not Dylan, Marley or The Builder. I'm talking about the thingamaBOB you plug into electronic devices to moderate how long children sit at the computer/TV/video game system. Sure, it would be wonderful if we could get little Billy to reach over and turn off the electronic device all on his own after his first reminder. It would also be nice if french fries were healthy, our nation's budget was balanced, and babies came into this world housetrained. Ce la vie. So if you don't like repeating phrases like, "I SAID time is up!" Or "No, you may NOT finish round 156!" then you might appreciate the technology that basically says it for you in the form of a 60-second countdown just before lights go out. I like it. My kids have learned to heed Bob's warning by wrapping things up as the countdown begins. PLUS. You can put the final touches on another chapter or sculpt your eyebrows or finish off that love letter to George Clooney without constantly having to look at the clock to make sure little Billy isn't abusing your OBVIOUS generosity. This gift beats a nice robe any day. P.S. I've contacted the Bob People who have agreed to give my readers a discount code. Email me if you are interested.
To possibly be continued...
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
These are a few of my favorite things
Posted by
Catherine
at
9:06 PM
Labels: Holiday, on reading, Shopping
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I am loving this post, and please keep those ideas coming. I need every one of them.
ReplyDeleteI think I could use the thingamaBOB for The Brit and his laptop...though, I suppose he could turn around and use it on me as well. Hmmm...
ReplyDelete