I've had several people let me know that they are highly anticipating the release of Rosetta Stones. Not just you, gorgeous blogging friends. But day-job customers who've heard through the grapevine that I'm getting published. Co-workers. Teachers. Uncles twice removed. Strangers, even. And each time someone tells me something like, "Let me know when it comes out!" a chill runs up my spine. Something in me wants to say, "WAIT. As much as I want to sell enough books to earn my advance, this novel may not be the novel for you."
I'm blown over by the kindness out there. People have committed to buying this thing with a very limited knowledge about what's inside of it. And, while I don't know each and every person's motivation, I'm pretty sure most of these people are trying to be supportive.... It's their way of rooting for the home team. The girl next door. The independent publishers and unwealthy, unagented, unknown authors. Underdogs, ya might say. I get that. More importantly, I APPRECIATE that. But I think it's only fair that you, my faith renewers, know a little bit about what you're committing to before you subsidize my writing habit. In the two and a half years I've been running shop here at Blogger, I've yet to really inform you about this book. I THINK. Sure, I drop hints here and there. I bitch and moan about my impatience in the process. But getting down and dirty about the content? I think I carefully skidded around that part as I weeble and wobble between using this blog for friends/fun and using this blog to get the word out about my precious, fragile BABY.... you know...the one I'm putting up FER SALE. It's tough. But the fact of the matter is that I don't have an agent, as I mentioned a few sentences back. And it's also worth mentioning that the PR rep for this outfit is ME. And, as the PR rep, I feel like I have an obligation to drum up some positive chatter about the book before it hits the market. At least TRY to occasionally. Which totally goes against this post. But there's that full disclosure thing gnawing at me like a old, starving hellcat. So, back to THAT uncomfortable topic...
Okay, here's a few reasons why you MAY or MAY NOT be interested in Rosetta Stones: 1. It's a young adult novel. 2. It's a young adult novel that has the F word. A rape scene. Violence. And a murder. Or two. Maybe three.
In my novel's defense, I wrote this book NOT thinking of young adults... whatever that is. I wrote this book thinking of myself. My then 25-year-old self. High school was still fresh in my memory. How we talked, walked, and folded the bottom cuffs of our jeans. And so I wrote a story about high school teenagers. And in this story, I let my teenagers talk like teenagers talk. Not like a 35-year-old mother would WANT her teenagers to talk. Bad BAD things happen to these guys. Because, in my story, they have to grow up quickly. I am FASCINATED with the subject of Teenagers That Have to Grow Up Too Quickly. I'm also fascinated with loyalty. Friends that would DIE for one another. But also the subject of twins. Mothers. Sisters. Ghosts. Ancient family secrets. Good vs. Evil. And so I created a story that weaved all these elements together in a way that I'm quite proud of. Not for a teenager. Not for a mother. Just... for me. As it happened, I found a publisher that said, "Fuckin' A! We can sell this!" Maybe not in those exact words. But THE CATCH is that we needed to sell it to young adults. AKA, teenagers. Because it's about them. And it's told in their voices.
So to my sweet neighbor Lavonne, who only just recently asked me if I would give her a heads up when the book comes out, I want you to read this story of love and redemption and growing up more than anything in the world... but know that kids WILL be cussing, using double entendres, skipping school and drinking before learning their life lessons. To mothers whose kids read chapter books: If you can't take the time to read this yourself FIRST, you might want to be sure that your young adult could handle something like White Oleander or The Lovely Bones, which are also books about young adults but with very ADULT themes in them. Lastly, to Mr and Mrs. Orona, Mr. Leupold, Mrs. Moore, Nina, Sister Rosalie, Mrs. Foster... I hope you all know that I NEVER used the F word when I was a kid.
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
I can't believe I'm about to say this... but maybe you shouldn't buy my book
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Yep. I never used the F word either. Or the S word. Or the D word. Or any of the other four letter words out there. I never swore.
ReplyDeleteEver.
Still don't. ;)
Looking forward to your book!! (Swear words and all!)
The F word? Wow, now I really am interested :)
ReplyDeleteI think you are great writer, I throughly enjoy your blog post, this is why I a can't wait to buy your book. I am sure all your your blog readers will agree with me. Also, the fact that I "know" someone who is cool enough to write a book also makes it enticing!
It sounds to me that, while the book is being target with teens/young adults, it is something that might help parents of young people or young people to be, neighbors of same, teachers, spiritual leaders, and ??? to have a realistic peek into the elements of those young lives that the keep hidden away from us. Understand them is important, but if we old folks (!!) close our ears to how they actually live, well, can we know their needs?
ReplyDeleteI never heard "The F Word" out loud until I was in my 30s. I know, I know. After I learned how they used the language (beyond trying to shock me) I understood them so much better.
Just sayin'. I realize it is a novel, not a self-help book, but still .....
Yup, I am hooked now!
ReplyDeleteTrying to find your way onto the banned books list, are ya?
ReplyDeleteI still want to read it.
I'm so looking forward to reading your book Catherine, even if I didn't know anything about it. But now, I'm more than intrigued!
ReplyDeleteI'm just impressed that you've written a book--that's in itself is a huge accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteJust to get a book published is a huge accomplishment. My question: Did you get to meet Hillerman? I love his books. Not too shabby an endorsement!
ReplyDeleteScrew you lady, I'm buying that book. Do you not know how this is going to add to me prestige? "I knew her before the book was published!" because, as you know, it's all about ME.
ReplyDeletePS The lovely Ms Rowling uses rather harsh language in the new Potter book. You're not alone...
Hey, Catherine! I just realized that you have used one of the best possible sales devices ... telling us we can't handle it!! Clever, very clever!!
ReplyDeleteDon't apologize or explain honey just sell! Everyone is adults right? And it is fiction. I didn't want my mama to read my husband's first book because of all the drug usage and F words but she loved it...go figure!
ReplyDeleteBTW your kids pictures below and your vacation shots are awesome. Very nice and a beautiful place too.