Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The repercussions of naming your child Jonah



Antonia likes to tell friends, family and perfect strangers how she ended up with her name. About how when I was in college I was constantly told by my mother to pray to St. Anthony because he was the saint that watched over losers. Well... people who LOSE things, anyway. I was most definitely qualified as a loser in the early '90s. I lost my keys every third Friday or so. And my driver's license. I was endlessly misplacing my soils textbooks, my very anemic notes, my oversized backpacks, class schedules, nail clippers, hair scrunchies, etc. It affected me in more ways than one. For example, I was always wandering around lost in dreams, playing slot machines and waiting for someone to come find me and take me to the airport. And then one sadder-than-usual day... I lost my checkbook. The checkbook that had my innumerous high-interest-rate credit cards tucked away inside, 20 bucks in tips... not to mention THE CHECKBOOK with ALLLL that student loan money I had just deposited into it. I told myself, "Self. This is it. You are going to be seriously poor now, all because you can't pull your brain cells together like a normal, functioning adult that accounts for their material belongings regularly." And then I finally did what my mother (and aunts and subconscious) had told me to do so many times before. I prayed to this St. Anthony dude, in a mocking, half-hearted kind of way. I remember laughing as I said out loud, "All right! If you can find it in you to help me with this checkbook fiasco, I will be SO UTTERLY impressed that I will name my first child after you." BEHOLD. Almost immediately, I got a phone call from someone who said, "Hey, is this Catherine? I just found your checkbook and thought I'd dial the phone number printed here and let you know that I'm on my way to your address, that's also printed here, to return it to you!!" Upon hearing this, I had the intestinal butterflies of someone who'd just accidentally bumped into their soulmate at the mall. Mr. Anonymous sounded just as thrilled... in a good Samaritan kind of way. About five minutes later, he was knocking at my door to return the goods. Everything intact, not even a dollar of my tips missing. He wanted no reward, no cold drink, no French kiss. Returning it to its rightful owner was reward enough, he said. So, three years later, true to my word, I was holding this 7 lb. 13 oz screaming, squirming ball of miraculousness who would forevermore be known as "Antonia." Maybe Toni. (Anthony just seemed a little weird for a girl.) And, while I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination, I still consider St. Anthony to be a secret pal, kind of like Santa Claus but without the commercialism. Great story, right? Toni thinks so, anyway.

THEN there's my almost-seven-year-old son. Jonah. He's been told a million and one times that he was named after the little boy in Sleepless in Seattle because, at the time, his father was in love with everything Tom Hanks. And, besides, we didn't know any Jonahs. It was simple. And original. And better than the SECOND name his father was leaning towards which was Walter. As in Payton. As in NOT. Yet Jonah has chosen to believe all the compelling strangers around him that counter he was ACTUALLY named for a prophet that refused to save the sin city of Nineveh and was henceforth swallowed by a large whale to contemplate the err in his ways. Okay, maybe he doesn't say it quite like that. Nonetheless, he's in love with the idea that he could hang out in the innards of a whale with nothing to keep him company but his hobo pack, waiting for the whale to sneeze him out... because it IS kind of Pinnochio-ish. I've decided to let it go. The real story just doesn't put out NEAR the flamboyant artwork.

I'll deal with the origins of Emma and Kyra's names later. At three and two, respectively, they currently could care less what sitcom character/Biblical phenom/estranged aunt they were named after. I figure I've got at least three years left to think up something really epic.

Have a happy 4th, everyone! See you on the other side.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. I'm always misplacing things....so you know I love that story! I need to start visiting with St. Anthony. ;)

    My poor little one just has to live with the I've always loved that name and that's why I named you that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at...

    "I was constantly told by my mother to pray to St. Anthony because he was the saint that watched over losers."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of those stories. And Jonah's picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not religious but I am always lighting candles at churches in front of various saints. I usually pick a female saint as women are so much more helpful than men. I don't think I've ever seen a statue of St Anthony. Wasn't he removed from the archives of saints some time ago by the Church? I need a saint who get things started. Who would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The drawing is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's he got in there with him aside from his pack of hoho's? A maraca? Whatever it is, the whale doesn't look too happy about it!

    PS - I nearly lost a little urine at: "And better than the SECOND name his father was leaning towards which was Walter. As in Payton. As in NOT." You make me laugh, chica. Better go pee now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least he wasn't named something like Judas or Cain or something like that :) That would get him confused.

    Jonah is a fabulous name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, According to Wikipedia, he's still around, so to speak. He's the saint that looks like a monk, holding a baby in one hand and a lily in the other. Saints for getting things started, though? I dunno, but it's definitely worth researching!

    Gringa, it DOES look like a maraca doesn't it? It's actually his HOBO pack... as in those hankie's connected to the end of a stick filled with god only know's what... I guess in his case it would be filled with Pokemon cards. :) I'm kind of blown over that he knows what a hobo is.

    Thanks, everyone! You guys are so very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This past year I had a student whose grandmother used to have long, hand-wringing conversations with me when her grandson did not show up to school. She used to tell me every time that she was praying to St. Anthony that her grandson would finish school this time. I used to say, "You keep praying, and maybe St. Anthony will get him through." Sadly, St. Tony did not come through on this occasion, but I guess he does have to work around free will.

    My Emma just found my tattered copy of Wilton Barnhardt's novel "Emma Who Saved My Life" on my shelf the other day, and was thrilled at being able to read it. I told her that book was partly why she was named Emma, which is true. It would be loftier and more literary to attribute the name to Jane Austen, but I actually like Barnhardt's Emma much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah ... but Weezer wrote him a cool song too.

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com