Have you heard of the one-word game? Tell me you’ve heard of the one-word game. It’s where you’re supposed to describe a person in ONE word? It’s making the rounds in forwarded emails, but also at the Boys and Girls Club where my two oldest kids hang out after school.
I can see where this MIGHT be a fun game at a party, after everyone’s had enough coke and rum to loosen up the I-give-a-crap-what-you-think mechanism:
“Everyone describe Catherine in one word!”
“Loopy.”
“Vulgar.”
“SHORT...”
“Campy...”
“Flirty...”
“Limber...”
“Artsy-fartsy...”
“That’s two words, dude.”
But to ask people to describe me in one word for the sake of describing me in one word? I don’t get it. What’s the point of making people lie? Who wants that?
My nine-year-old recently asked that I describe HER in one word and my mind started preparing a speech about how I didn’t want to play because it’s so… one-dimensional and unrealistic, superficial and kinda crazy. Toni is a million and one different things depending on the time of day and/or TV show airing. She’s nervous yet patient. Lazy yet helpful. She’s silly and thoughtful. But also quiet and unsure. She’s intelligent, beautiful, twitchy, sensitive and bony.
And just as I was about to open my mouth and tell her these things, Jonah said, “I think you’re lovely.”
Leave it to Jonah to make me look all mean and cynical.
But Jonah couldn’t stop there. “Now you descwibe Mom,” he told her.
She looked at me very straight-faced and assessed me just long enough to make me think that her ONE word was actually going to be a bad one. And since reproachful and unsympathetic aren’t really a part of her vocabulary, I was waiting for words like MOODY. Distracted. Busy. Lazy. Hungry. Sleepy. Strict….
And then she said, “Talented.”
I never knew that one word could reduce me to tears so easily.
So maybe the one-word game doesn’t totally suck after all.
Friday, March 02, 2007
Gullible
Posted by
Catherine
at
4:11 PM
Labels: A girl we call Toni, a whole lotta nothin', Moi, The wonder that is Jonah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


OOOHHHH...that was so beautiful it made me ache a little...
ReplyDeleteHonestly, how sweet. You must have just beamed!
That is so sweet. I wonder what my kids would say? I kind of like that game and may have to give it a try...
ReplyDeleteAwww! How beautiful.I think the one word game is great when you have that kind of close and honest relationship with someone.
ReplyDeleteI had one of those superfical experiences that give the whole exercise a bad name. We had to go around the room at the end of a uni class and secretly write one word to describe each perosn in that particualr first sememster first year class. Since most of us didn't know or associate with a majority of the class, it really wasn't very sincere. The worst part was that each person then had to stand up and read the words fellow class mates had written about us, it was dreadful. And not a bad word was said about anyone - I wish life were really like that ;).
What a cool picture of you from your daughter's eyes! I really like that.
ReplyDeletefrom the mouths of babes...
ReplyDeleteAhhh...
ReplyDeleteand now add Proud...
as that is what I would be to raise such amazing kids!
What a sweet kid, the nicest thing to say--
ReplyDeleteAww, that was so sweet and she was right on it too!
ReplyDeleteNow did you mean coke AND rum or rum and coke. Cuz you know there is a big difference. I'm starting to wonder what kind of parties you go to Catherine;)
awww that is so super sweet!
ReplyDeleteOhmygoodnessssss! (That's one word for really, really adorable.)
ReplyDeleteI did a one word post once. I was surprised at some of the words. But my friends are overly nice too. You have some sweet little ones.
ReplyDelete