Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Is there lipstick on my blog's teeth?

It's an unfortunate fact that I am afraid of most audiences. I know what you're thinking - Newsflash dude, you're a blogger. Yes, but that's different. Ask me to climb onto a stage and dance for anyone with a set of eyes and/or ears… Pffft. Fat chance. Not even for pretend. Not even if the audience is comprised of my five most favorite people in the universe whom I KNOW for a fact wouldn’t say a mean word about me, even if their very breath depended on it. Forget that these people don't actually exist…I could never do it for them anyway. Neither can I fathom putting a microphone to my mouth and giving a rendition of… anything resembling a song. Not even for laughs. Well, okay. Maybe if I was sufficiently inebriated. But sober? The stakes would have to be pretty high. And even then I’d have to be blindfolded and given a set of ear plugs, all the while complaining about how I am SO going to resent someone for this later. I cannot do a lot of things that require people watching. Listening. Giving me a slice of their undivided attention, however momentarily.

And yet, yes, I am one of a gazillion that puts on a virtual orange wig and a neon tutu to perform via blog. With superfluous amounts of pleasure even. Why? Maybe it’s because your eyes and ears are a safe distance away. I can’t hear the sound of crickets through my computer when my jokes fall flat. I can’t tell if your eyes are rolling when I’m snarkier than the average bitch. And it's funny how I can conveniently forget that almost every one of my relatives, college roommates, previous co-workers, high school acquaintances, and favorite authors have access to the internet these days and can wander here, even if by accident. But there’s also this other small fact - I get, on average, only 15 to 20 visitors per day. Aside from the people who wander here in search of cryptic tonsil pictures, Velveeta meatloaf recipes, and stories about The D-cup Boobs Singapore Group, I assume all the other visitors are my fellow bloggers. My peeps. People who pet my head when I’m down. Or cheer me on when I’m NanoWriting. People who sprinkle Happy Comment dust across this URL and lift my spirits to new and improved heights with their intrinsic loveliness. The protective walls of my monitor, the silence within my blog space, and the familiar visitors who make their presence known in kind ways, all help provide me with a comfortably false sense of security.

So you can imagine my consternation when I received 170 lurkers last Thursday. ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY. High-traffic days might be normal for the good bloggers. But I’m here to tell you it ain’t normal on the banks of the Rio Grande. Just look at the proof. Thursday is downright vulgar…it’s like a stiff middle finger in my graph of visits. If I’d just posted about nudity and creative camerawork, there would be no stupefaction in regard to my visitors. But come on...bad breath and goat farming? Besides, I checked the stats, and there were no strange and new Google searches that brought them sniffin' around, not even for something like “How to help birth a coyote” Or “Gasp! Blogger knowingly feeds cheap peanut butter to innocent livestock!” A Google search on my own self turned out to be just as fruitless. No mentions of my website in Writers Digest. Nothing about me on Ze Frank's message board. So who are you and why didn't a single one of you say hi, much less, "You bad, bad stink-breath mother, you!"??

I realize that commenting isn't a requirement when blog-reading. I don't comment every single time I'm presented with the opportunity to do so. But, pray tell.... What brough you all here on the same day?? I know I should feel flattered that my numbers rose exponentially for a blip in blog time. But here's a little insight into my personality for ya — I feel more like toilet paper was unknowingly trailing from my blog’s rear end for a day. Paranoid? Maybe. Neurotic? Sometimes. Social phobe? Hmm. I hadn’t considered that one, but okay. Insecure? What blogger isn’t every now and then? Feeling sleep-deprived and needing a little drinky-poo after dinner? You're obviously a regular at catherinedix.com. And, if I haven’t said so lately, THANK YOU for that.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

  1. I understand. WP has some traffic info that comes even with their freebie stuff. I've been looking at it and wondering what's up too. I supposedly have all these people supposedly reading, and my usual 5-10 comments. I'm wondering who my lurkers are and if my MIL has found me and sent her friends. It's strange. I hope your lurkers fess up. Hint hint lurkers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you musta said sumthin dirty. I reread everything, and I can't find it, but surely they all googled a bad word and got you!! Seriously, that is weird! Well, enjoy the probability that you are just very popular. Just keep saying, "I am a beautiful, confident, worldly woman, and everyone knows it." It works for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try and not look at my site meter any longer...
    Do you remember the story I wrote about Scooter where my girlfriend painted a picture of her?
    Well, that story...
    For some reason known to the freaks out there... Had ENDLESS hits from PORN sites...
    I was sooooo horrified...
    Endless...(250 hits!!! from Singaporn and others...) I do not know if it was the innocent pic I had of Scooter to accompany the story? I have not a clue... I thought of pulling the story... But the damage was already done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. delurking to say..."um, you got a little somethin' somethin' riiiiight therrrre..." :) No - actually I am new to your blog and found it in some random travels - maybe through the share the love awards? Anyway, you are funny and interesting. I really like the neon wig and orange tutu.

    I grew up in Southwestern Colorado, BTW. On the banks of the Gunnison and the Uncompahgre. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL- you're a freak. BWAHAHHA.. i am always here, so there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if my last comment went through. Blogger's been wonky tonight. But I agree with you, I"m the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really weird, wonder what was going on there. Perhaps someone stumbled upon your site and read your entire inventory of wonderful stories. I just recommended your site to a fellow blogger, so you may get some more hits yet;)
    I feel exactly like you when it comes to audiences - I hate teh spotlight. Writing though is different. But blogs actaully giev me teh courage to reveal what I have written or else my rantings would merely remain in a dark corner of my naive mind - where they probably should stay - but nevermind. If know on reads, it is fine, I am writing for the pleasure of it, the comments I receive are a huge bonus and give me courage to extend my timid self a little more.
    Pendullum - that is a truly disturbing experience about the Scooter painting story. I remember that one,it was beautiful, and there was NOTHING in it to attract that sort of reader - that is plain creepy - ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are so freakin' nice. Thanks.

    And Pend, I'm flabbergasted that your beautiful, beautiful pic/story would have any appeal to people on the prowl for porn. Yuck. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear you crack me up. It is the oddest perves that will bombard you....some people must like "goat" farming, or tending to the goats. And you got everyone of them to visit. I bet they were looking so forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it must have been that time I scrawled your URL on the wall at Starbucks...

    I've been getting tons of hits from an image I posted, but have no idea how to find out how they're finding the image in the first place. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get sudden surges in either postings or hits. I am totally fascinated with reading how people arrived at my blog. One month the top search phrase was ugly cats which, in fact, I have never written about so I don't know how that happened. Some are from countries whose language I don't even recognize. Interesting world, blogging. I think I found your site when you came and visited mine. Can't remember now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, I was looking for a step-by-step instruction on helping to birth a coyote...

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com