Antonia, my oldest, was a born nervous wreck. If I didn’t know better, I’d have said that she’d been sharing womb space with Marilyn Manson for nine months. Traumatized is the only word I can use to describe her chubby, little facial expressions and her glass-shattering vocal pitch for the first year of her life. I do realize that newborns are supposed to cry. Some even have a condition commonly referred to as colic. But this was… different. Antonia seemed genetically-inclined to be disturbed by things like sunlight, water, nutrition, voices that didn’t belong to her mother, shiny things, furry things, socks, music, kisses, touching in general, and the concept of SLEEP, for crying out loud… I say this because she cried out loud. For YEARS UPON YEARS, she cried out loud. When she was two months old, I decided to quit my job because I was afraid that day care people would surely throw her out with the dirty diapers just from sheer delirium. I thought, ONLY the person who gave birth to this thing can dig their claws into the cliff of sanity and keep from descending into prison. Alls I can say is THANK GOD I had that innate love thing going on. Otherwise, who knows.
But, unbelievably, doctor after doctor checked her out and told me how TOTALLY healthy she was. HOW, I wondered. She barely eats because she’s too busy crying. She sleeps in ten-minute increments, but only if I lay her on my chest and sleep in an upright position in front of a TV with the volume COMPLETELY turned down and the dryer humming ever-so-softly in the background. She bites her nails and pulls out her hair, and something tells me that if I offered her a cigarette, she’d actually BREATHE a little easier. She HATES life!
Friends and relatives tried to comfort me by saying things like, just wait till she’s walking, you’ll long for the days when you couldn’t PRY her off your leg with a good set of lineman’s pliers. Just wait till she gets some teeth and can eat candy… it’s the ultimate bargaining tool to get a kid to shut up. None of those things turned out to be the Godsend that everyone guaranteed they’d be. Once she started walking she just grabbed my hand and took me with her as she screamed about the birds chirping or cold floors beneath her feet or people making eye contact. She had no interest in candy for the first five years of her life, either. It was like she KNEW there were ulterior motives involved in its flagrant distribution. Reading Dooce’s account of potty-training hell brought back HORRIBLE memories of just how hard Antonia’s early years were. If I’d had the brilliant ability to think coherent thoughts under extreme duress like Ms. Dooce does, I could have written that post seven years ago… without the hate mail-mention from someone named Catherine, of course… I feel the need to say that was a DIFFERENT Catherine.
Anyway, something DID finally make things all better for Antonia. Having another child. Can you believe I actually HAD another child after this experience? On purpose even! And I haven’t even made mention to the four days of labor and sadistic OB that didn’t “believe” in cutting Antonia out of my exhausted body. Still, I had Jonah. And HE was my Godsend. He distracted his older sister by slobbering all over her pretty-girl shoes, and eating off of her plate, and grabbing fistfuls of her hair and taking them with him to another room. She loved him dearly for it. As did I. But the honeymoon didn’t last very long. We had to move to another town. She had to go to Kindergarten. She was forced to endure her parent’s separation and eventual divorce. Trauma upon trauma. There were times when I thought, “This parenting thing… it’s so NOT my bag.” DIFFICULT isn’t an apt-enough word to describe what parenting was for me. And yet, how could I complain? Like the doctors all said, she was HEALTHY. She was so many things that other children weren’t…. Walking. Talking. Feeling pain. Breathing without assistance. I felt like a wimp. How could I not cope with her tears and screams and ability to make me feel two inches high when, time after time, I’d ruin her life? What was wrong with me? I never did figure it out. She’s nine-and-a-half years old now. And, somehow, we’ve muddled through without killing one another. Sometimes I still feel like I'm clinging onto that cliff of sanity; even if it's by the tips of my highly-fragile fingernails. Meanwhile, Toni has become much calmer over the years. One might even say serene.
And yet this parenting gig... it continues to knock me to my knees. Antonia wants an email account and her own blog now. I know lots of good parents out there have allowed their nine-year-olds the privilege of stretching their wings a little. And their worlds haven’t fallen apart for having done so. And I also know that there ARE options like parent-controlled email accounts and blogs. But I’m still not completely sure that she’s ready for THAT much independence. What would I have published on my blog had I been allowed such an opportunity at the age of nine? I realize that I’m someone who torched her high school diaries after college because she finally saw that excessive amounts of melodrama could corrode a person’s eyeballs. But, still, I wonder if I would have gossiped about that girl Debbie who had a head lice problem? Would I have confessed about my crush on Joshua Feaselman? Would I have talked about how afraid I was of Mr. Westbrook's teeth? And my grandma’s closet? Would I have had the wherewithal to not give out my address and phone number and favorite place to ride my bike on weekends? I don’t know, but it makes me kind of glad that I didn’t have that option.
My daughter, on the other hand, is growing up to be a bright, discerning, thoughtful human being. But she’s still NINE. And, okay, yeah, maybe I’m missing that clingy baby of mine who didn’t know how to interact with the outside world for the first five years of her life. But it’s not just water and sunlight anymore. Scarier things exist. Chain letters, pornographic spam, forty-year-old men googling phrases like “I heart my Tamagotchi!” There’s only so much I can do to protect my grown baby now that she doesn’t demand that I hold her hand 23 hours of the day. And that kills me sometimes.... SO MUCH MORE than the glass-shattering cries ever did.
But, unbelievably, doctor after doctor checked her out and told me how TOTALLY healthy she was. HOW, I wondered. She barely eats because she’s too busy crying. She sleeps in ten-minute increments, but only if I lay her on my chest and sleep in an upright position in front of a TV with the volume COMPLETELY turned down and the dryer humming ever-so-softly in the background. She bites her nails and pulls out her hair, and something tells me that if I offered her a cigarette, she’d actually BREATHE a little easier. She HATES life!
Friends and relatives tried to comfort me by saying things like, just wait till she’s walking, you’ll long for the days when you couldn’t PRY her off your leg with a good set of lineman’s pliers. Just wait till she gets some teeth and can eat candy… it’s the ultimate bargaining tool to get a kid to shut up. None of those things turned out to be the Godsend that everyone guaranteed they’d be. Once she started walking she just grabbed my hand and took me with her as she screamed about the birds chirping or cold floors beneath her feet or people making eye contact. She had no interest in candy for the first five years of her life, either. It was like she KNEW there were ulterior motives involved in its flagrant distribution. Reading Dooce’s account of potty-training hell brought back HORRIBLE memories of just how hard Antonia’s early years were. If I’d had the brilliant ability to think coherent thoughts under extreme duress like Ms. Dooce does, I could have written that post seven years ago… without the hate mail-mention from someone named Catherine, of course… I feel the need to say that was a DIFFERENT Catherine.
Anyway, something DID finally make things all better for Antonia. Having another child. Can you believe I actually HAD another child after this experience? On purpose even! And I haven’t even made mention to the four days of labor and sadistic OB that didn’t “believe” in cutting Antonia out of my exhausted body. Still, I had Jonah. And HE was my Godsend. He distracted his older sister by slobbering all over her pretty-girl shoes, and eating off of her plate, and grabbing fistfuls of her hair and taking them with him to another room. She loved him dearly for it. As did I. But the honeymoon didn’t last very long. We had to move to another town. She had to go to Kindergarten. She was forced to endure her parent’s separation and eventual divorce. Trauma upon trauma. There were times when I thought, “This parenting thing… it’s so NOT my bag.” DIFFICULT isn’t an apt-enough word to describe what parenting was for me. And yet, how could I complain? Like the doctors all said, she was HEALTHY. She was so many things that other children weren’t…. Walking. Talking. Feeling pain. Breathing without assistance. I felt like a wimp. How could I not cope with her tears and screams and ability to make me feel two inches high when, time after time, I’d ruin her life? What was wrong with me? I never did figure it out. She’s nine-and-a-half years old now. And, somehow, we’ve muddled through without killing one another. Sometimes I still feel like I'm clinging onto that cliff of sanity; even if it's by the tips of my highly-fragile fingernails. Meanwhile, Toni has become much calmer over the years. One might even say serene.
And yet this parenting gig... it continues to knock me to my knees. Antonia wants an email account and her own blog now. I know lots of good parents out there have allowed their nine-year-olds the privilege of stretching their wings a little. And their worlds haven’t fallen apart for having done so. And I also know that there ARE options like parent-controlled email accounts and blogs. But I’m still not completely sure that she’s ready for THAT much independence. What would I have published on my blog had I been allowed such an opportunity at the age of nine? I realize that I’m someone who torched her high school diaries after college because she finally saw that excessive amounts of melodrama could corrode a person’s eyeballs. But, still, I wonder if I would have gossiped about that girl Debbie who had a head lice problem? Would I have confessed about my crush on Joshua Feaselman? Would I have talked about how afraid I was of Mr. Westbrook's teeth? And my grandma’s closet? Would I have had the wherewithal to not give out my address and phone number and favorite place to ride my bike on weekends? I don’t know, but it makes me kind of glad that I didn’t have that option.
My daughter, on the other hand, is growing up to be a bright, discerning, thoughtful human being. But she’s still NINE. And, okay, yeah, maybe I’m missing that clingy baby of mine who didn’t know how to interact with the outside world for the first five years of her life. But it’s not just water and sunlight anymore. Scarier things exist. Chain letters, pornographic spam, forty-year-old men googling phrases like “I heart my Tamagotchi!” There’s only so much I can do to protect my grown baby now that she doesn’t demand that I hold her hand 23 hours of the day. And that kills me sometimes.... SO MUCH MORE than the glass-shattering cries ever did.


That was a WONDERFUL post Catherine. So well written.
ReplyDeleteI can identify with what you are saying too, I have a 4 and a half eyar old boy and he was the same. Cried cried cried all day long. I couldn't get him to nap for the first 5 months. And seemed to be born with severe separation anxiety. I coudln't leave the room for two seconds and I struggle to get him to try ANYTHING new to this day.
Having a second baby was really stressful though. He was only 20 months old when the next child wa born, and it didn't go well. Driving was a virtual nightmare as he tried to scratch the eyes out of his baby sister. Everyone who has had a similar expereince tells me their child has grown up to be extremely calm, that gives me hope, adn I will admit, he is getting better with age.
I think I woudl feel similarly about the email thing with my child. There are too many creeps out there in cyber-space. It woudl have to be a very controled situation for me to feel ok about that.
I'm pretty successful at being a thorn in Kidlet's side because of the 'men googling I heart my Tomagotchi'. I hope I can always stay a step ahead of her. We gotta be on our toes don't we!?
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Sounds similar to the relationship my son and I have ... especially the part about being amazed he got to age nine without either of us killing each other.
ReplyDeleteChristopher has a blog, but after two posts he forgot all about it. Of course, nobody but his parents and grandparents has access to it, either, because his friends just aren't that web-savvy yet. I do dread the onslaught of the Internet Years, but the only computer with internet access is in our bedroom, which should help a little. Good luck!
Now, I wonder if I try and write a witty comment if it will be eaten up by your blog....
ReplyDelete(Happened on the last post Boohooo... Gone>>. witty loving remark POOF!)
I digress, my daughter is nine and has no desire to share her thoughts... She is still loving the Webkinz and ClubPenguin...
She still holds my hand and loves the cuddles... But she is soooooo indulged as she is an only child...
I do not think I could be ready for her to start expressing herself to total strangers... and I hear you when you mention how quickly she has grown... and my goodness what a rope... a rope of independence and wings... I feel for you on this road...
wow i dunno what i'm gonna do when hannah wants to do things that i do as an adult. tough one. and i have no idea what to even tell you expect that i'll be feeling the same thing when hannah asks me to have her own blog, or her own cell phone, or her own myspace. *sigh* they grow up too fast
ReplyDeleteBut ... but ... I DO heart my Tamagotchi.
ReplyDeleteWOW! That was a beautiful post Catherine! Yeah, I can't see myself allowing my children to have a blog either at nine. I'm trying to hold onto them for as long as I can, even if my hubbie has to pry my protective hands from them.
ReplyDeleteNot only did I enjoy that post but I love the name Antonia. Makes me think of Willa Cather, if you're up on her writing.
ReplyDeleteCatherine, This post brought back my own struggle with my first born (OMG, he is now nearly 43!!), although our problem was with chronic and severe colic. Turned out he was allergic to cow's milk! He has remained, well, intense his whole life, but fortunately, it is pleasant intensity for the most part these days.
ReplyDeleteAs for safety of our children . . . I can only say that I'm glad my children are grown. Life today is not what it was when I was young or even when my kids were that age. They grow up too fast (IMO) and face such danger. I'm so sad that kids can't go play and explore their world as we did. How could we not do what we must to preserve their tender childhoods? Bless you for your patient motherhood.
My girls have been begging me to let them have a blog for awhile now. I'm trying to find a kid-safe way to do it. I'll let you know what I find out. (But your line "forty-year-old men googling phrases like “I heart my Tamagotchi!” scares the crap out of me.)
ReplyDeleteoh erm maybe i shouldn't tell you that i was like that as a baby and i'm not sure i grew out of it!
ReplyDeleteLike you I have two little ones and two bigger ones. The two littlest ones are easier even though I have to do almost everything for them still. The big ones are harder because it's uncharted waters for me. They are getting closer to the age where they want to spread their wings into this big, bad world. Yikes! With every decision I make I wonder if it was the right one.
ReplyDeleteOh Catherine, so much here..."sharing womb space with Marilyn Manson" - "grabbing fists full of hair and taking them with him to another room" - lovely, lovely things for me to choke on my morning coffee and I'm grateful to you for it. :)
ReplyDeleteThe idea of whether to let her email and blog at 9? Scares the shit out of me. There are so many different things now to worry about then when we were kids! I was thinking about mud and turtles and frogs at age 9. I wasn't even allowed to use a calculator.
I can't believe you outed me about the head lice.
ReplyDelete*weeps softly*
kidding! Catherine, you're such a wonderful mother.
really.
Her own blog and email at 9? I can't imagine.... I can barely handle one as an adult. Of course she'd probably do better!
ReplyDeleteLetting go, even just a little bit, is the most frightening aspect of parenting for me.
ReplyDelete