I have been working like a mad, sniveling dog on something called a CPA-52. It sounds like a good time, doesn’t it? Right up there with Chinese water torture… in subzero temperatures… with Bill O’Reilly’s voice nattering in the background. For anyone that didn’t get that? I absolutely HATE these Bad Boyz From The Bottomless Pits Of Hell, as I have so affectionately started referring to them. (BBFTBPOH for short.) HATE.THEM. Like I hate alarm clocks, Dr. Pepper, and Chanel No. 5 first thing in the morning.
So I thought I’d change the subject altogether and talk about fun stuff. Like BOYS. And how my life is evolving right before my very eyes. I still can’t believe this particular topic has dared to be instigated in my home by someone other than my girlfriends or me. My nine-year-old daughter recently told me about a boy who gave her a note that read “I like you.” She then went on to describe this boy as nice, funny and…….. kinda chunky.
Now, before I get to the REAL point of all this, I feel compelled to tell you that I will NOT endorse my daughter holding this little guy’s hand. Or, God forbid, passing a love note back. Come to think of it, I do not want her to react in any way, shape or form to the “I like you” note, except maybe to say, GEE THANKS. The good news is that even THAT idea creeps the heck right out of her.
The real issue: The “chunky” comment, obviously. And what that has to do with the price of tea in
So I NEEDED to address this issue with my daughter. Lest it drive me to drinking alone in the dark. “Why did you feel compelled to tell me he’s chunky?” I asked her. “Instead of, say, right-handed or smart or… totally unfashionable?”
She shrugged, and I could tell that she instantly regretted her choice of words. Or the fact that maybe it WAS part of the story. You know, maybe she just regretted divulging this information to me in the first place.
“Who do you consider cute? Like, a movie star or something,” she asked me later. I knew EXACTLY where she was going with this. The truth: Yes, I find George Clooney, Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt HIGHLY attractive as well as the next girl.
And then I admitted to crushing on the following guys MUCH more than the uber-popular ones:
And a Scottish dude named Ewen Bremmer that made a terrible, terrible mess in Trainspotting. (Sorry. No picture to be found.)
What exactly WAS it about them, she wanted to know. I kinda fell for Peter Dinklage when I heard his voice in a radio interview, if you must know. He was witty and gentlemanly and smooth as chocolate ice cream on a hot summer day. Maybe if I hadn’t heard him on the radio I wouldn’t have sought out his movie, The Station Agent, and then I would not have ever noticed his intense eyes and dimples and fantastic gift for acting. But I did. And so I did. And now I list him as one of my favorite
In all seriousness, I know most people are guilty of judging others by their appearance. Myself included. I’m personally turned off by comb-overs, mullets and t-shirts that tout a love for handguns and cowgirls, so much so that I’ve been known to audibly snicker. But I hope to teach my daughter that I’d overlook all of that if they had nice radio voices, a visceral dislike for alarm clocks… and BBFTBPOH, of course. I think it says a lot about a person. So sue me because I don’t want my daughter to have a thing against chunkiness and yet could care less if she dislikes someone for their mullet.
Note to the note-passing kid: You’ve got some seriously good taste in the ladies. But while she’s a very cute, bright girl with a heart the size of a prize-winning melon, she IS kinda wet behind the ears. (Glory to God. And halleluliah for that.) She says you’re a nice boy, though, and so maybe you can cut her a break someday. She’s NINE after all. Speaking of which, this is all quite moot. She can’t date until she's 37. Thirty-seven and a half, actually.





It is amazing how people are caught up in looks. I don't think it is a new trend-Helen of Troy, etc. I was taken aback once when at a councelor I was asked to describe my family which I did. Then he asked me if I realized that I hadn't named many personal qualities but it was all about how they looked. I realized that I had been brought up to judge people on how they look and, also, that I felt I fell far below that level set by my beautiful family. I think we are normally drawn to beauty but have to learn to look below the surface. Anyway, sort of rambling here but I enjoyed your posting.
ReplyDeletepete..he was in niptuck. did you watch? he was great on that show
ReplyDeleteChunky can be good - particularly in cookies.
ReplyDeleteThat cpa32 sounds like a covert mission or something. Who would have ever thought little Steve would be all hip and everything. I spent alot of sleepless nights with him when Kidlet was a tot and never would have guessed it. He was an extension of our family.
ReplyDeleteYep. I plan to have lots of daughters. And by "have" I mean "adopt." (Is it possible to adopt 28 year olds? Just bypass all the awkward prepubescence and the tortured early 20's...just go straight to the late 20's?) Hope so.
ReplyDeleteThat's too funny. Peter Dinklage (if I spelled that right)? Never heard of him but it seems you're into the retro 70s-look thing perhaps with Mr. HOffman.
ReplyDeleteThough I'm with you on Steve. I always found him totally hypnotic on Blues Clues. Did you ever see that episode of Law and Order though? When he played that witness he freaked me out a bit.
Interesting post. It annoys me also, when the media report on some crime and chose to mention the crims race, though I have noticed that they don't often say caucasian - then they are just some ambiguous crim.
ReplyDeleteAmen. (Oh and Steve is hot.) Also, Snape and Philip Seymour Hoffman.)
ReplyDeleteAnd Jack Black. Yum.
You know, it's almost not fair. If you raise these super great kids, everyone else will pale in comparison.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason your picture of Steve isn't loading for me even though all the others are. Which is too bad, because I found him kinda hot even during Blue's Clues. (You'd think that'd make me creepy, but if you read his website he talks about how many women he gets coming up to him in supermarkets confessing they had the hots for him while watching BC with their kids ... OK, it makes me creepy along with a whole lot of other creepy people).
ReplyDeleteI have a crush on Peter Dinklage. And your post here is excellent and makes some wonderful points, though I take a different approach and try to diffuse negative words by using them openly. Like fat. Fat is not BAD, it just IS. Everyone should be accepted, respected, differences embraced. And either you're attracted to someone, or you're not.
ReplyDelete