Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Lessons Learned: A week in review

Black ice. Ever heard of it? So why haven’t I? Somebody explain to me how I’ve lived in this poor excuse for an oasis a little over six years now and had yet to experience the malice that is black ice. I should know by now that black ice is not just grape Kool-Aid cubes floating in a tub of Hunch Punch at a frat party. It’s not just a cool name for a goth rock band that jams out in a garage somewhere in Minnesota, either. It’s definitely not just something you can bid on at eBay when searching for a memento from the tires of Bon Jovi’s tour bus. It’s this. It’s dangerous. And it almost killed me. Lesson learned: DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, attempt to pass the Budweiser truck that’s going 20 miles per hour on a 65-mile-per-hour highway IF the outside temperature is so cold that icicles form at the tip of your nose when you look toward the sun and happen to sneeze. And, by the way, when the car is spinning in circles and your life starts flashing before your eyes, go easy on yourself when you realize that the first regret that pops into your mind involves bra-wear, ‘cause heaven knows that’s the first thing the paramedics will notice when they’re untangling your hair from the radiator fan, right?

Nail clippers. Evidently, I’ve never heard of those things, either. It’s funny, I kinda rag on one of the characters in my novel because she doesn’t keep up with her child’s nails and ear wax maintenance. And yet I just took my son to the doctor’s office for a day care physical thingy and got a good chiding for the condition of my son’s toenails. I wanted to burst out with, “But I just picked him up from his father’s, where he’s been for a whole WEEK! The toenails should have been clipped by said individual!” But the fact of the matter is that those toenails had OBVIOUSLY gone two weeks AT THE VERY LEAST without so much as a warning. Lesson Learned: Go to a doctor that isn’t so freaking thorough. Weight. Height. Medications. Toilet habits. All important observations to make of a six-year-old boy. But “Let’s take a look at those feet, kiddo.” Come on, who asks that??

OCK. I’m pretty sure you’ve never heard of that one. I, on the other hand, have heard it almost as much as I’ve heard the theme song to Go Diego, Go! It’s Kyra’s current favorite word. Just before OPPIT, EGGO, MO and PSSSS. Believe it or not, I can translate all of it. Piece a cake. OPPIT = Stop it. EGGO = Diego. MO = More and PSSS = Please. But OCK?? Where do I begin? It’s book, look, snack, rock, back, sock, walk, and quite possibly Barack. We are having problems with OCK around here. At least I am. Everybody else seems to know when she’s hunting for her sock as opposed to her favorite book. I’m the only one that never guesses right. But there is a lesson to be learned in this. And here it is: Mothers are FAMOUS for not understanding their daughters. So don’t take it so personally when she throws her socks at you as you are handing her a book. In a few years it will be the maxi pads without wings because she specifically asked you for pantiliners instead.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

  1. Black ice know it well...
    My Gran from Ireland loves to talk about the varying degrees of black ice... Could write poetry about it... that and the different types of rain.... Dear, is it mizzling out dar'rside?

    And the toenail thing...EWEWEWWEWE>>>>

    and as for the ocks... My sister for a year and a half walked around calling everythng 'Litch' I was the only one who understood what she wanted...
    and now it is only I that does not know where she is coming from half the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember my mom doing my toes but I'm sure she had too. Seems like they've always been short. I think she used to do mine in my sleep because I was so ticklish.
    My husband had never heard the term black ice (years ago) he didn't believe me at first. It is very dangerous and we have more wrecks in the winter because of that than anything, well that and deer! I am terrified of it! I hate that out of control feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black ice was introduced to us practically as soon as we arrived in Canada 2 years ago. We were told that foreigners were responsible for escalating vehicle insurance in the province, because, "they are [apparently] all bad drivers", not knowing how to handle snow and balck ice conditions...which prompted me to dopily ask "derr, what is black ice"? I thnk they probably rolled their eyes and mumbled something like "typical", in response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. black ice is bad bad bad. but i always think about my underwear too before i go out cuz thats the 1st thing they'll see on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pendullum: Yeah, that toenail thing was HORRYIFYING. As soon as he pulled off his socks, I searched the room for a nice-sized rock to crawl under.
    And I totally hear you on the sister thing... TOTALLY.

    Deana: You wanna hear the kicker? It wasn't even black! Why did I think the road had to look glossy or BLACK to be BLACK ICE?? This was just my week of shame.

    Strauss: I'm one of those dangerous foreigners. I never even knew!

    Becky: My problem is that I NEVER used to think about my underwear, or who would be making fun of it while I lay dying... that is, until I thought I was going to die! For some reason I always figured my last thoughts would be more... PROFOUND just before dying. Oh well, guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of black ice, just never been unlucky to 'run into' it. I'm glad that you're ok. The words BonJovi just jumped off the page..... ;) "that ice is like bad medicine!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. "that ice is like bad medicine..." *snort* Now, why didn't i think of that!?

    BTW, I threw that Bon Jovi part in just for you, Shopper. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh God!! that doctor sounds like a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com