Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Because I'm lacking in creativity

And I feel the need to commemorate my 100th post! So here are 100 random things about me:

1. I learned to read and write in Spanish before English.
2. Which meant that when I tried sounding out my name, it sounded like Ca-thè-REEN-è
3. I won the 5th grade spelling bee.
4. It was life-changing.
5. I’ve kinda been obsessed with words ever since.
6. Which means nothing much as most of you know by now; this blog is strewn with misspelled/misused/misinterpreted WORDS.
7. I’m also obsessed with weather.
8. If it weren’t for the fact that I happen to know living, breathing, interesting people are actually reading this thing occasionally, I’d blog about the weather like I blog about my tonsils and my youngest child’s bowel movements in the bathtub.
9. In other words, once too often… I’d tell you all about how it was -15 F the other morning, but -27 once you factored in the wind chill. I’d talk about my fascination with snow thunder and snow that falls while the sun is shining, and about how a day here can have a forty-degree span from start to finish, and how I’m convinced it affects my mental stability when I have to change clothes three times a day in the summertime.
10. In high school, I was voted Most Friendliest AND Most Shyest my senior year.
11. I was neither.
12. I like to tell people I can’t cook.
13. I can. Quite well, actually. Shhh!
14. (I don’t particularly ENJOY cooking.)
15. I spent a good majority of my young life trying to be a good, devout Catholic.
16. And then in college, I fell in love with my gay supervisor, a man who made me realize that judgment is one of the worst kinds of sins.
17. It was the beginning of the end of my strict Catholic belief system.
18. Although I still have a pet saint whom I wholeheartedly believe watches my back.
19. I used to drive my college roommates crazy because I recycled EVERYTHING.
20. They didn’t care about the recycling so much as the fact that I rarely took the crap to the recycling bins downtown.
21. They must have hated me.
22. I hated chemistry. I had to take Chem 1, 2 and Organic Chem each TWICE.
23. I should have majored in English.
24. Or Creative Writing.
25. Or something that involved NOT science.
26. But the environmentalist in me thought she needed to do her part to save the world.
27. While earning a buck, of course.
28. So I majored in soil science.
29. With an emphasis in Environmental Resources Management.
30. I sucked at it.
31. Although now I know the difference between a Mollisol and an Entisol and an Aridisol.
32. Even if nobody really cares.
33. Not even me.
34. UNLESS I find myself at a Soil Scientists Convention where other people care.
35. Although I’ve never been to a Soil Scientists Convention in my entire life.
36. I’m NOT a soil scientist.
37. I’m a soil CONSERVATIONIST.
38. I’m still recycling, though.
39. Only instead of hoarding the crap in my apartment’s patio, I’m hoarding it in the garage.
40. Every time I blog, I think it might be my last time.
41. I’m always left feeling naked.
42. Even if I rarely talk about anything of importance.
43. When I was younger, I wanted people to think of me as a sweet, nice, kind, gentle, virtuous human being.
44. My thirties changed me.
45. I realized that you are never sweet, nice, kind, gentle, or virtuous enough to please everyone.
46. Pleasing everyone. Now THAT’S what I REALLY wanted out of life.
47. I’ve made peace with that wish.
48. Just before I buried it for good.
49. Now, I just want to be The Smart Girl. Or The Fun Friend. The Clever Mom. And The Hot Chick.
50. Just kidding.
51. I don’t need to be clever.
52. I’ve taught a bunch of high school kids how to measure the moisture in snow.
53. My toes were three minutes away from being frost-bitten in the process because I didn’t own snow-wear at the time.
54. Tahoe City, California and Des Moines, Iowa are two of my most favorite places on earth.
55. I’ve only been to each place once, but my life irreversibly changed at both places.
56. In the same year.
57. At Tahoe, I learned that I’m not as cold-intolerant as I claim to be. I slept all night in a snow-cave that I built with my own two hands.
58. At Des Moines, I learned that complete and utter happiness was within my reach after all.
59. I’m in love.
60. Completely and utterly.
61. A boy named Pancho was my first love.
62. I called him Frank.
63. He didn’t like me in first grade.
64. I was friendly. And shy. But very, very, very plain. Not to mention six.
65. In the ninth grade, Pancho became my boyfriend…
66. …A little after I broke up with his brother.
67. Not very virtuous, I know.
68. I think skiing is sexy.
69. And sky diving.
70. And horseback riding.
71. And I’ve never done any of them.
72. I’m a sucker for a man who uses words like VACILLATE and PENCHANT.
73. IF he has no problem changing diapers.
74. OR can decorate the living room better than me.
75. I loathe cell phones.
76. And drivers who use cell phones.
77. I can say this because I’m not one of them anymore.
78. I have a terrible memory.
79. But only when it’s convenient.
80. I CANNOT play Tetris.
81. Because it has a way of holding me hostage and sucking the lifeblood right out of me. Suddenly, I don’t care if I eat, or sleep or shower or VOTE. Worse yet, I don’t care who ELSE eats or sleeps or showers or votes.
82. I can cut hair.
83. I screwed up a few heads in my time. But I’m really good now.
84. One of my sisters graduated high school with bangs a little like Frankenstein’s because of me.
85. It was unintentional. So she forgave me.
86. This is the same sister that went with me to Mexico to get a perm about twenty years ago.
87. We both left that country looking like Napoleon Dynamite.
88. I am allergic to air.
89. Well… pretty much everything that floats around in it.
90. After thirty odd years of suffering from a perpetually runny nose and watery eyes, I got tested and medicated and realized that life really isn’t so miserable after all.
91. Sadly, though, pets are out of the question.
92. I will never go to a class reunion.
93. Did I say NEVER? I actually meant I will NEVER EVER EVER go to a class reunion.
94. I don’t do well in social situations.
95. Besides, it’s best I be remembered as the friendly, shy girl.
96. As opposed to the smart/funny/hot chick wannabe loser girl
97. Emma and Kyra are at a new day care now. Yesterday, Emma introduced me to her new friends.
98. It was a great compliment. She’d never introduced me to anyone before.
99. She almost introduced me to my maker.
100. But that’s a story for another day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

  1. I, for one, seem to like it a little too much when you feel naked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to my high school reunion once. What a mistake. It was so depressing and I felt insecure and ugly like I did those many years ago. Never again.
    Have you ever tried Claritin for your allergies. I was allergic to everything green (except money) and I am allergy free now. Sometimes also need the cortisone nose spray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 100 posts! And I love your new look. Love it! Yay for yellow - only the most daring bloggers go yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 100! When it is your last time, change your mind...ok? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that post. It was the funniest "list" I have read.
    I too, will NEVER EVER go to a high school reunion, elementary adn high school must have been the most painful experiences of my life. I don't think any woudl miss me if I didn't go..I hate school and most people in it so much that I simply didn't talk. I don't do well in social situations either.
    I did biology at school because it was the supposedly the right thing to do. I sucked at it.
    I also hope that your "last blog" never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippee on the 100th post! Now I know you a little bit more Catherine. You're much more clever than I am in not telling that you're a good cook, although you are. They tend to rely on you for meals all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not going to vacillate on this for one moment, I have a strong penchant for your list of 100 things about you, baby!

    Honestly, that was the most entertaining list of "100 Things" I've ever read.

    Happy New Year, Hottie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doc: All right... you talked me into it. I'll continue to lie around here naked just awhile longer.. for you.

    Linda: I take TWO nasal sprays TWICE a day and eye drops when necessary. It's a pain, but I feel 200 percent more attractive now. :)

    Shopper: You're too good to me, love.

    Strauss: Thank you for sharing! While I'm sorry for your experiences, I'm always happy to find people who can empathize with the crappy school memories. We need to swap stories sometime.

    WAYA: I appreciate that you think I'm clever, but I think I let the cat out of the infamous bag with this post. :)

    Kevin: Dude. That's my heart your playin' with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Kevin...
    Makes me want to get off my computer get into a car and find you and say... what else? I already love you but tell me more!!!!!

    And by the way.... your blog is playing with my heart... I am going to try to post this... but... your blog does not want my comments(I even think they were funny?)...When you had your new improved page... the one with the tres cool vest I tried posting comments 12 times and it just never would let me(I tried different times in the day and week... )... So, I will copy this now... and if blogger screws with me... I am just going to have to e-mail my comments to you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way.... 4 attempts and it finally let me post....

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thirties changed me too....and my allergies suck like yours. Great list, they are thinks that make you feel like you know a person. I like your sense of humor though sometimes I wonder if you actually see how funny you can be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. You've made the world 100 posts better.

    Two questions:

    1. What kind of school teaches children to say "most friendliest"; and

    2. Who is your saint? Is it St Catherine carrying her eyes about on a tray?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your 100th! Love your new template.

    (And I'll have to teach you how to play Tetris. Said the computer addict.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pendullum: Get in that car, girl! I'll put the coffee on. Oh, and I'm so sorry for your Blogger woes. I've had a few myself. I bow down to you persistence, though. I am so not worthy.

    Deana: Thank you! When it comes to my sense of humor, I truly have no idea.

    Moobs: 1. The kind of school that also had a "Most Likely to Become a Nun" category. Ah, but at least they didn't say Most Likeliest.

    And 2. Saint Anthony. He is the master at helping me find things. Although now I must go read up on Saint Catherine... she sounds like a true visionary!

    Sweatpantsmom: Teach me to play Tetris in under an ten hours and it's a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post had me laughing. You are so funny!
    43. "When I was younger, I wanted people to think of me as a sweet, nice, kind, gentle, virtuous human being." I have a hunch you are all those things whether people think it or not.
    57. You slept in a snow cave!?!? You are a brave woman, that is definitely on my "not to do" list.
    66. Um, yeah. I'm married to my ex-boyfriend's brother. Talk about not very virtuous!

    Happy 100th post. It was fun to learn more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Take it off! Take it off!
    It's time to get naked again, hon. I'm jonesing.

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com