Friday, December 29, 2006

To The Grand Puba of My Life

Last night when you and Emma were each building a castle made of wooden blocks, Emma accidentally brushed her foot against one of your sidewalls. In one fell swoop your creation was reduced to a pile of rectangles, cylinders, and squares.

“OH NO!!” I yelled.

“It’s okay,” you said with absolute calm. “It was NOT the best location for a castle anyway.”

“Sorry, Sweetie, but it looks like you represent floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes and all other natural disasters of this world,” I said to Emma.

Meanwhile, you merely moved a safe distance away from the restless feet of our two-year-old daughter and began reconstructing your castle block by block.

And then our OTHER daughter, the one that eats like a mama whale who’s trying to quit smoking, caught sight of your relocation endeavor and stomped onto the scene. She headed straight for your castle’s new address, bent over, reached for the colorful blocks and began throwing them at the wall like it was her God-given right to demolish all that is bright and cheery. You merely smiled and said, “Kyra, you represent the human race.”

This snippet of conversation is a perfect example of why you light my fire. Some people are serene, but not funny. Or pragmatic, but not empathetic. Or funny, but not the kind of people who dedicate time to building castles with their children. You are everything good. You are strength and balance and love and sanity all wrapped up into one wacky human being. You are someone I can call with the "Mobile Shout Out" without flinching if I'm ever lucky enough to land inside the Cash Cab. You are someone who can sew a button, make fajitas, recite Shakespeare, and keep his opinion to himself without hesitation. I am a richer person for having known you. Imagine this -- without you, I might’ve died without hearing “Warm Beer and Cold Women” on vinyl… or on any other musical medium for that matter. I might’ve never eaten scrapple or read A Garden of Sand, or become so personally acquainted with Google that he'd eventually email me on a regular basis. I’m richer because you introduced me to Rod Sterling, A Clockwork Orange, poultry seasoning, cinnamon in my coffee and the concept of privacy. You’ve educated me on the benefits of writing a grocery list and the stupidity of shopping on an empty stomach. I'm richer because you helped me learn to treat myself like Queen of the World. And to respect money and time. And to focus on what's truly important. Also? Without you, I might’ve never learned to say no when I mean no. Or NO MORE when I mean NO MORE. Or SHUT UP when I mean “Go to HELL, you FREEEAAK!!!” The many ways in which you've enriched my life are too numerous to list.

So, basically, thanks for asking me to share the rest of my life with you. Thanks for not running in the opposite direction at warped speed once you REALLY got to know me. Thanks for those people you helped me create. And thanks for building castles with them occasionally.

Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart. I love you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. How lovely and wonderful....a beautiful tribute to your man.
    Reminds me of a firend, whose husband would hug and calmly tell their children - mid-psychotic tantrum - "you are made of gold, and this is not who you really are". I love that.
    I had to laugh at the imagery of your OTHER daughter stomping over the castle and throwing the pieces against the wall...I've known that scene myself.... Kids 2 and 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it - it's settled. The ten of us need to get together, because Allan and Kyle sound like two (absolutely fabulous) peas in a pod. And I already know that you and I will get along.

    Happy Anniversary to you both - and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to a tributable (like that work?) man. Happy Anniversary to the two of you and continue to find the tiny whimsical reasons to be in love. Those are the best reasons of all for being together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you and your Husband. Sounds like he deserves you!

    Happy New Year!!!!
    Thanks for being one of my internet friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOHHH! You've made me tear up and smudge my makeup! What a sweetheart you're married to, or at least you paint him that way.

    I loved the building blocks scenario...that really did paint a nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post. happy anniversry, your hubby sounds like a real "catch!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Kyra, you represent the human race. a classic line...'

    Catherine it sounds like our families could vacation together... and that says a lot in my books...
    Happy Happy Anniversary...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! Everybody needs a grand pubah! Happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I haven't changed my name to Shopper Gril, I just have mad typing skilz. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com