Tuesday, December 26, 2006

MIA d-list blogger finally found... half-alive and quasi-well

Ten years from now, as I sit back in my easy chair in a trophy home overlooking the rising ocean, I will open up my super-luxurious, omni-directional fingertiptop (because laptops will probably be obsolete by then) and I’ll scroll through my blog archives to this particularly empty space in time. Late 2006. Not because I’m a glut for punishment whose feeling nostalgic for throat pain… but to remind myself that I am one of the luckiest human beings this side of the Rio Grande…yes, even if I still have lingering issues with my missing tonsils that result in things like painful strain while reading a bedtime story to a little boy who is grounded for attempting to cut his own hair in a fashion that bares close resemblance to his eighty-nine-year-old grandfather. I. AM. FORTUNATE. I have a two-year-old kid who finally quit “puking up.” And neighbors who haven’t bitch-slapped me for all the snow left unshoveled on my side of the walkway. And a husband who was more than happy to help me put back on all that weight I managed to lose last month. I have friends still checking in on me, and a publisher who reminds me regularly that my novel is the cat’s MEEEOOWW, even if it still needs a little tender, lovin’ swift-kick-in-the-ass care here and there. And, while I live in a town with a grand total of three day care options, two of which won’t take children who still don’t pee outside the vicinity of a diaper ALL the time, at least I HAVE a town to live in. And day cares do exist. And I have children. Children, children everywhere… in the fridge, in the trash can, in my box of tampons, and the closets where Christmas presents were not hidden NEARLY well enough. And, sure, I’m bummed because Santa forgot to bring me some new socks, the kind that could furthermore be used as winter scarves, but at least I have feet to sock. And a neck to scarve. And a long winter to utilize the long, heavy, scarf-like socks that I didn't get. Yes, winters are good, too. They last three-quarters of the year here and give me plenty reason to put off spring cleaning, shaving, and starting up an exercise regime that involves me and breathing in clean, pollen-free, fresh air.

But where am I going with this… Oh yeah, I just wanted to say that I am grateful for having had such a fantastic year. I’m grateful that YOU stopped by and are reading this now. And, while I’ve had moments of self-pity here and there, truly, I am not jaded. Or negative. Or anything that might remind you of a miserly old chap who thought that “Bah, humbug!” was the catchphrase of the nineteenth century. No, not this lady. No siree.

Happy Holidays, friends! Stay warm and safe.

P.S. Thank you, Pendullum. I'm so very glad you found me, too. You're an amazing writer and friend.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

  1. Wow that was one more post!

    I'm sorry Santa didn't bring you the socks you wanted but I still hope you had a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh....you make all that sound fun. You have a way with words. ;)

    Post a picture of the snow for all of us looking at palm trees...k? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And some of us count ourselves lucky that we found your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to your blog and was excited to read that you have a publisher. I guess that means you are working on a book of some kind. How wonderful. Best of luck with that. Is anything coming out soon?
    Have a fabulous New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got socks for Christmas!

    (Unfortunately, not any that I could use as a scarf.)

    Happy New Year! As for your pesky missing tonsils, I hope 2007 is the Year Of Living Painlessly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a pleasure. I hope 2007 is just awesome for you. I've joined a book reading club, and I plan to suggest your book as part of the plan. My little contribution to your 2007, dear girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a Wonderful Life!

    I am soooooo looking forward to reading your book Catherine....
    So, when will we have the chance to take a peak?
    Tis is like Christmas to me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shoppergirl: Pictures forthcoming!

    Strauss and Pendullum: April!! That is, if all goes well and my publisher decides, once and for all, that it no longer needs to be tweaked.

    Lynilu: I would be kissing your feet if you were just a little bit closer.

    Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sums up how i feel. that even though things were crazy this year i am fortunate and i DO have a good life. merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com