Thursday, December 14, 2006

Why do you REALLY want to know what color mascara I wore in high school?

My employer has finally gotten with the times and decided that, in order to secure the very important and confidential information on our intranet, I need to answer five personal, random questions lest I forget my coveted password. There are several questions to choose from on a variety of arbitrary subjects.

Pseudo examples:

What top secret name did you give to your favorite childhood teddy bear?

What book have you STILL not returned to the public library after twenty five years?

Which of your body parts is screaming for plastic surgery?

Where have you hidden the paper trail that leads to the boots that you bought online three months ago?

Random my ass.

My bank did this to me back when I was setting up my online banking account years ago. It all seemed so innocent. So nonchalant and unsuspicious. And yet I can’t help wondering if my husband was somehow involved in the making of these questions:

On average, how many times do you use your debit card on the weekends?

How much money do you plan on spending this Christmas? The honest answer, please.

When was the last time you opened mail pertaining to your Roth IRA?

And by the way, where have you hidden that secret stash of leftover Halloween candy?

This system might work for the bank and the government and the non-paranoid of this world. It doesn’t work for me. Back when I did actually lose my password and had to reset it, I struggled remembering what lies I’d told them six months before. That’s why I’m all for the systems where you get to make up your own private questions. That way I can give me, myself and I (*wink wink*) personal information about OTHER people. My kids, for example.

What does Emma say every time she climbs up her daddy’s back? “Giddyup Cowman!” Easy enough.

What happens when babies leave toys on Mommy’s bedroom floor? “The big, hairy guy trips and breaks his baby toe and then the toys disappear from the face of the earth forever.” A total no-brainer.

What does Jonah do every time he gets in trouble? Simple. “He draws a picture of his mother wherein she looks like Medusa, only with lightning rods for hair instead of snakes. If he’s REALLY in trouble, she’s drawn as a walking mass of flames. (I’m assuming it’s to signify her scorching hot anger as opposed to his wish that she burn in hell.) He then has his older sister hand-deliver the picture to said mother and mumble an apology on his behalf.”

See? Simple. Informative. Not-too-intrusive. And now you, too, can change my password to the Hypnotist Wannabes’ Secret Online Clubhouse.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

  1. Very clever. I enjoyed this a lot.
    I might pop on over for a look on a regular basis, now that I have stumbled upon your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Strauss,

    You should come back here often because this is one funny mama, as evidenced by this post. LMAO!

    Mommy off the Record
    http://www.mommyofftherecord.blogspot.com

    (stupid beta blogger is making me sign like this. GRRR.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JOnah is good isn't he? You are raising a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK>>>
    My 10th time trying to tell you that I love this post...
    BUUUUUTTTT F@#$%&&&G B$^# BL^%$GGGGR
    is justmessing withmeCatherine... Just messing with me,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing out loud. OUT LOUD. Working out my own security questions as we speak: How many curse words did you invent when you were pushing baby out of your hoo-ha? How many drinks per night does Daddy need to recover from mealtime?

    Ooh. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I used to have 5 secret questions I had to enter for our banking system at work I hated it! I answered all my questions and didn't think to be careful writing them down...then it had to be number and word for word perfect and I would have to call tech support over and over until they just gave me new questions. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't log into my internet banking anymore because they've made it soooo freakin' secure that even I can't remember the answers. Secret questions will be the death of me I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't tell anyone, but I have a file in my computer that tells me all my secret names, passwords, codes, etc. That list is at least 40 companies long!! If I didn't keep 'em, I'd never get into any account! Let's hope my computer never gets stolen. And by the way, you didn't hear me say this, right? You know nothing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine,
    I just wanted to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a New Year filled to the brim with 'moments' that may be shared with your Blogger friends!!!

    So grateful I found you...

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com