HALLOWEEN DECORATOR
If it weren't for the internet, I might have blown a good 40 bucks on things like those pre-fab witches that appear to have had one too many Smashed Pumpkins, thereby mistaking the front door for great big SKY. Nothing would have been wrong with that IF I didn't mind spending 40 bucks on stuff that'll eventually mingle with my potato peels and Playtex wrappers at the landfill. But I DO mind. And so the Halloween Curmudgeon who normally says, "Screw the decorations. Let's just order pizza! Because THAT would be money well spent." THAT person visited Aimee's blog, and realized that decorations don't have to be expensive and/or cheesy and then proceeded to glean ideas, hence exchanging her worn-out Curmudgeon title for Coolest Mom On The Block.
So the internet has also managed to make me a better MOM. Because while there weren't any cheese decorations, there were plenty of cheesy jokes amid all that quality time we managed to rack up while cutting out bats and floating, spooky smiley faces.
But it doesn't stop there. The internet is also making me a better WRITER. And I'm not even referring to all the practice I get here at le blog. I'm talkin' about the helpful hints I wander upon when I'm supposed to be folding socks.
This is my new toy. After much research and contemplation, I decided that a laptop wasn't the best solution for someone who needs to write and yet can't help but check out the stock market when, for example, I'm STUCK because the only way I can think to describe my protagonist's sister-in-law is ICKY. My new toy won't let me check my stocks in this scenario. My new toy is completely devoid of internet and says things like, "The stock market will be there in one hour when you're all done writing. And, BZZZ, ICKY is not a word. Try again." In case you, too, need a snippy word processor that doesn't condone procrastination, it's called an AlphaSmart Neo, and you can find one here. P.S. It doesn't really talk.

Lastly, the internet is making me a better HUMAN, thanks to people like Boogiemum. While I have been neglectful about posting about it, I AM in the process of trying to cut back on my gas usage/emission. My original goals were to only fill up once a week. But that has been screwed up by various things including but not limited to thoughtful husbands, book trade shows, and away soccer tournaments. But here is what I HAVE done... I have WALKED my child to soccer practice instead of driving her. I have avoided picking up hitchhikers. And I have stayed home on Columbus Day instead of driving the normal 16 miles to and from work. So, while I don't believe I deserve to win the gas challenge, I HAVE become ever conscious of my gas consumption and will continue to figure out how to make it be not so consumptive. And maybe that deserves a slice of pizza... since I saved 40 bucks on Halloween doodads.
But it doesn't stop there. The internet is also making me a better WRITER. And I'm not even referring to all the practice I get here at le blog. I'm talkin' about the helpful hints I wander upon when I'm supposed to be folding socks.
This is my new toy. After much research and contemplation, I decided that a laptop wasn't the best solution for someone who needs to write and yet can't help but check out the stock market when, for example, I'm STUCK because the only way I can think to describe my protagonist's sister-in-law is ICKY. My new toy won't let me check my stocks in this scenario. My new toy is completely devoid of internet and says things like, "The stock market will be there in one hour when you're all done writing. And, BZZZ, ICKY is not a word. Try again." In case you, too, need a snippy word processor that doesn't condone procrastination, it's called an AlphaSmart Neo, and you can find one here. P.S. It doesn't really talk.
Lastly, the internet is making me a better HUMAN, thanks to people like Boogiemum. While I have been neglectful about posting about it, I AM in the process of trying to cut back on my gas usage/emission. My original goals were to only fill up once a week. But that has been screwed up by various things including but not limited to thoughtful husbands, book trade shows, and away soccer tournaments. But here is what I HAVE done... I have WALKED my child to soccer practice instead of driving her. I have avoided picking up hitchhikers. And I have stayed home on Columbus Day instead of driving the normal 16 miles to and from work. So, while I don't believe I deserve to win the gas challenge, I HAVE become ever conscious of my gas consumption and will continue to figure out how to make it be not so consumptive. And maybe that deserves a slice of pizza... since I saved 40 bucks on Halloween doodads.


Those are some cool decorations! I may attempt to make some myself.
ReplyDeleteI put the poll up for the gas challenge. I know you stated you didn't think you should win, but I am entering you anyway! :)
Once again, thanks for playing along.
Have a great weekend!
Love the decorations! Perhaps I will give some a try too.
ReplyDeleteThat word processor looks awesome. If I ever actually embark on a writing project that involves chapters, I might just invest in one of those babies.
The decorations are really neat! I won't be decorating because I will be off on my fun trip by then.
ReplyDeleteI love the word processor. I'd heard about it, and it sounds like a great buy for kids in school, for all the same reasons you mention. Well, if reworded into kids activities.
And the website is interesting. I'm going back there and look some more. Thanks!
So glad you are there on the internet dear friend...
ReplyDeleteand I love your decorations....
and there is never a doubt that you are one of the coolest moms there ever was...
Such a good choice, the Neo. I have the same problem except that instead of being distracted by anything as intelligent as the stock market, it's usually Facebook Scrabble that keeps me away from writing. No Crackbook on the Neo ... I swear by it.
ReplyDelete