Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I'll show you mine if you show me yours


<--This is what my nightstand looks like at this very moment... now that I've removed the alcohol and hidden my meds. Seriously though, it hasn't looked this photogenic maybe ever. I thought it was worth sharing. Maybe I can show you the insides of my purse in a month or so. And then my medicine cabinet after that. Who knows, maybe I'll work my way toward the garage. NONE of these books came from the trade show, incidentally. But allow me to dish on what I've got here: The top one there was written by Trudy J. Morgan-Cole, an extraordinary blogger over at Hypergraffiti. She is the only author who has ever visited/commented at my blog. Which felt like an honor BEFORE. But now that I've actually read one of her books -- The violent friendship of Esther Johnson.... I'm blown over with flattery. The person who, at times, made me HATE Jonathan Swift has stopped by here. Who broke my heart over sweet Becca's commitment. And poor, little rejected Bryan! And Esther. I could wax poetic about lovely Esther.... THAT author has linked to me. I'm a little freaked out!

Slightly further down is a novel called Black Widow White Lies written by Margaret Tessler. Margaret has edited Rosetta Stones for me, and so I'm reading her book next because I want to know more about the kind person who has taught me, for example, that blonde is feminine and blond is masculine. Plus, she's one of the nicest persons I've ever exchanged emails with.

I hold Willa Cather's novel My Antonia near and dear to my heart. It is ALWAYS on my nightstand.

I'm still researching on Thomas Jefferson because I'm convinced that he needs to play a role in my latest story.... which, FYI, is not the least bit historic. He's only on my nightstand because he's due back at the public library in two weeks and, therefore, MUST be finished.

I was at Wal-Mart about a year ago and over by the registers they had a bunch of books piled in one of those Take Me Because I'm About To Be Delivered To Another Wal-Mart book bins. I can't resist those bins. It's as if I'm afraid that if we don't support Wal-Mart books, they'll quit carrying them and then my little town might up and decide to quit reading altogether. So I bought All Is Vanity by Christina Schwarz and An Almost Perfect Moment by Binnie Kirshenbaum because Christina established herself with Drowning Ruth awhile back and so I thought this one might be good as well. And who could resist buying a book by someone named Binnie?? But I have yet to read either of them. Although they've moved from the bookshelf to the nightstand, so there's hope yet.

Lastly, what nightstand is complete without a box of tissue? Believe it or not, there's also a cute lamp behind those books. My alarm clock is a gift from Antonia. A hand-me-down, if you really must know. And my glasses. My scratched, spare, squarish glasses are necessary if I'm going to have books at bedtime.

So. What do you have??

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. Dude. Sorry to say, but my nightstand isn't anywhere NEAR as organized nor as sophisticated as yours. Unless you're dying to see a half-drunk glass of red wine (I'm working on the other half as I type), an empty yogurt container, some tangerine Trident, assorted scraps of paper from, like, MONTHS ago, hand cream and an embarrassingly tall stack of unopened mail...I ain't showin' ya. Nuh uh. No way. (Don't let this fool you though. I'm really an organized person! I swear!) (Really!) (Kinda!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since you asked, I have a copy of my flight itinerary. Any chance you can fly into Washington or North Carolina for that stiletto/thong book tour whirlwind? I'm going home baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I listed what in on my nightstand, you'd have no room for other comments. My night stand is over-sized, and that is an open door invitation for clutter. Actually, I'm afraid to move some of it ... who knows what evil lurks beneath?

    Oh, but know that I neatly put my current reading material in the drawer and close it every night! sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you said you had a lamp back there because I was wondering how you did that night reading with no lamp. I just moved a book off mine...finished it early this morning. Fangland, it was really dumb. I have my kitty print eye goggles as I call them, some pink ear stoppers for the dogs barking, and right now it is covered in clean and used tissue and throat spray since flying gave me yet again some sort of virus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc: SHUT. UP!!!!

    All the rest of you: You see, this is why I photographed my nightstand! I had wine and mail and snot rags and EVIL lurking in the remaining crevices just moments before clicking. Therefore, I HAD to stop and record the cleanliness for all prosperity because there's a good chance it will never ever look this nice ever ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My nightstand is actually a very old Boy Scouts of the USA wooden gear trunk---something straight out of the Cleaver's garage sale. On top of that is another smaller trunk with inlayed metal leaves and vines.

    My trunk configuration sits between our bed and the crib where our youngest daughter, Beatrix, sleeps. Consequently, it is covered in her things---small toys, spare pacifier, her lotion, board books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I just moved into some temporary accommodation, I have only have a lamp and a copy of The Monk who sold his Ferrari on it. Glasses will no doubt be lying there at some stage too.Prior to moving I had a stack of books I have not yet dragged out, Fruitflessh was one of them, my notebook, which is now in my handbag and New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle, is another. I also have my booklight on there most nights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may not be much of a gas challenger but I do like your writing. And reading. Antonia Rules.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww...I missed this post where you said probably the nicest things anyone has ever said about my book! (No, seriously). Thanks so much (blush). As for my nightstand ... best not go there. I know when you use the individual little dental-floss things you're supposed to throw them out, but there are a few scattered around among the kleenex and literature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have books and a lamp on my bedside table-which I hate as it is a cheap glass topped table which always shows the dust. I do have a nice new lamp though.

    ReplyDelete

 
designed by suckmylolly.com