Happy belated Easter, internets! And thanks, everyone, for your words of encouragement and well wishes. The water situation here has NOT improved. I repeat, NOT improved. In fact, some of you might have heard on CNN or read in the Boston Globe or found in the LA Times that the number of reported salmonella cases ballooned up past the 200 mark. The local people tell me that we might not be able to drink the tap until mid-April. My children are very excited to know that school was canceled for the rest of the week because of water issues making this a SECOND spring break this year. Today, we can't do anything outside of flushing... unless we WANT to bleach our clothes and hair and don't mind the ensuing nausea and vomiting. In which case it's totally fine!
So over the weekend, we sought out normalcy and found... snow. We did an egg hunt in snow on Sunday morning (Which, by the way, egg hunting in snow?? Quite the joke, even by a two-year-old's standards).
But by afternoon, we were grilling steaks and blowing bubbles, and you'd never know by appearances that my children had 103-degree temperatures and enough snot in them to drown a small litter of kittens. (FYI, totally unrelated to the salmonella.)
These are about the only two shots I have recorded of the afternoon. They took a five-minute break to try out their bubbles. The rest of the day (and every free minute since) had been spent watching The Wizard of Oz, which they've coined "Dorothy and THE WITCH." I'm memorizing parts of the movie that I never thought were memorizable... "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy! Rapture! I got a brain! How can I ever thank you enough???"
Viva la Easter Celebrations!!
In other news, I forgot to mention last week that I was blogging at MHM about having the dreaded "sex" talk with my Toni. Today I'm there discussing why I may not the best mom to have on holidays, but I kick major ASS if you scrub a toilet or two for the fun of it!
I'm off to take my kids to grandma's house for the remainder of the week where the water is 500 miles south of here, not very tasty, but completely salmonella-less as far as we know. See ya soon.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Salmonella, snow, and snot, for starters
Posted by
Catherine
at
9:53 PM
Labels: Colorado, Health, Holiday, Kyra in all her fabulousness, Mile High Mama, Picturehappy, The Chronicles of Emma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Geez Louise, I had not heard about the water down there - I am so sorry! Another reason to come visit me!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd the kids are SO FREAKING ADORABLE I can't stand it. Happy belated Easter!
I must be in a news free zone, had no idea that was tainted water in the West. That's the worst with kiddos. Good luck. Hope it gets the green light soon.
ReplyDeleteBest,
Kate
Oh, are you gonna be close to me??? If so shoot me an email, and maybe we can have lunch!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the links to your other writings. I'm sure that's how I found this blog in the first place, but I really enjoy reading the things you write.
ReplyDeleteGood choice to send the kiddos away, I cannot imagine what it's like to try and keep them away from WATER.
Looks like you had a fun Easter weekend with the exception of the 103 temps! Hope everyone is feeling better and I hope that the water situation there improves soon...
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to MHM in a while - need to get over there to read your posts!
:)
damn on the water situation! that totally blows. and snot blows too since we're on the subject. and hey! we blew bubbles on easter too!
ReplyDeleteooooooo - the coincidences are just too much to handle.
so, hopefully things will return to normal for you guys soon.
do you need the nationl guard to bring in some water? seriously, i haven't heard a thing about this other than from you.
tell me you didn't gather snow to melt and drink.
the snow on easter was kinda cool, in a get-winter-the-hell-over kinda way.
hang in there.
Right after your last post I saw your water situation in the news. So I "heard it here first" as they say in the news.
ReplyDeleteYou can't even wash your clothes in salmonella water can you? Or boil eggs? UGH!
I hope things are better soon.
I need to read that MHM article on your talk. I feel I must do it soon. Ours are the same age so if you have..... arrgghh!
I heard about the salmonella in your town on NPR one day last week and I was like...that is SO last week's news! Where have y'all been!? :) Sorry to hear it's still going on! Fingers crossed your water is salmonella-free soon!
ReplyDeleteWow - salmonella in the water - isn't this the 21st century?
ReplyDeleteWe should try to get kitten snot drowning made an olympic sport in time for 2012
Oooh, gross. I hadn't heard about your salmonella water situation. That rates pretty high on the SUCKS meter.
ReplyDeleteI love you pics!
I've been away and had no idea you were going through this. Awful! And I have to admit one of the first things I thought of was, "How can she make coffee?" until I read your '35 things...'
ReplyDelete