I never in a bajillion years thought that I would say this but... I kind of like being the "student" in a relationship. (Alert: Mind out of gutter. Mind out of gutter.) I like that my husband is a bottomless pit of knowledge, and I'm the lucky woman authorized to span the depths. There. I said it. What I like even more? That he's stingy. That he doles out the various bits of information from his knowledge pit very... piecemeal. I might even go so far as to say that he HOARDS it, like I might not use it wisely if left to my own devices. This is okay with me, believe it or not. In fact, I don't think I could have it any other way. If he gratuitously revealed his theories behind the machinations of Dr. Strangelove, for example, I might not have taken him seriously. I'd be all, "This dude likes to hear himself talk." But to find out what he REALLY thinks about something is very gratifying. Because it rarely happens. I'm convinced that I'm only going to know about 1/96th of what he knows on any given subject by the time I'm dead. Which will be a good sixty years from now, mark my words.
Having said that, the above DOES NOT apply to movies. Big movies. Small movies, Old movies. New movies. This just might be the only subject that he didn't let me go on and on for a significant period of time BELIEVING that he knew nothing about. THIS is the subject of which he cares and shares with me without inhibitions. Don't ask me what he thinks politically or religiously. I only know enough to be dangerous. But movies? His generosity cup runneth over.
Me: Have you ever watched Ben-Hur?
Him: Yes.
Me: All the way through?
Him: Yes.
Me: All four hours of it?
Him: Of course. It's the shortest long movie ever made. Cut out all the pageantry and it's actually more like two hours.
Me: What about Children of a Lesser God? Marathon Man? The Trouble with Harry? How about Wuthering Heights?
Him: Yes. Yes. Yes. And Yes. But you really should read the book first.
To make a long story short, he recorded these old classics for me, and now you know what I did this past weekend. Or, better yet. What I DIDN'T do. Ask me if I wrote. Ask me if I cooked. Ask me if I made a contribution to this world in any way, shape or form since I last blogged. Sure, I might have dropped a comment on a blog or two and maybe that meant something to someone. I brushed some teeth. I wiped some butts. I made some pigtails in some baby-fine hair (HUGE task). But, otherwise, I basically curled into my husband's arms, drank a nice red, and did my part to catch up to his vast knowledge of previous Oscar contenders.
"How can you claim to be a Dustin Hoffman fan if you've never watched Marathon Man?" he asks with incredulity. "He's been more than just an autistic, a graduate, an existential detective, a cross dresser and a divorcee. He's been a runner in dental ANGUISH as well!"
"If you can't finish Emily Bronte's novel, you've AT LEAST got to see Merle Oberon playing the role of Catherine Linton... you're a writer for crying out loud. And you're name is Catherine!"
This is just movies. A precious few at that. There are at least 15 others in the DVR pipe just waiting for me to get unbusy again... Mutiny on the Bounty, The Quiet Man, The Paper Moon, to name a few. He would have recorded more, but valuable DVR space is being occupied by the likes of Everyday Italian and The Outer Limits.... because DUH.
Don't even get me started on my TV show ignorance, my My Buffy the Vampire snootiness. Did you know it was one of the SMARTEST, FUNNIEST, MOST ELOQUENT TV shows ever written? Well, I did not. (So, yeah, he actually shares his TV knowledge as well.)
But I'm TOTALLY okay with that! Because I'm hot for Teacher.
So now it's your turn to share. What turns you on?
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
His brain really turns me on
Posted by
Catherine
at
10:06 PM
Labels: My Reality Checker
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


So THAT'S where you've been...I've missed you!
ReplyDeleteMy husband does not feel the need to shelter his knowledge from me, so that doesn't do it for me.
I love what an amazing dad he is, especially considering what a prick he had for an example. To see him be compassionate to our son is really hot.
Also, he is HILARIOUS. We have the same (rare) sense of humor that I have only found in one other person, and when he cracks me up, all I can think of is what we're going to do later, wink wink.
I'm hot for Daddy and the Comic.
I actually loved Buffy! My husband's mind is a definate turn on. He is actually the smartest person I know that has any common sense at all. He is respected, admired and kind.
ReplyDeleteEveryone needs to veg out once in awhile. A glass of red and a movie sounds SSOOO appealing right now!
ReplyDeleteBig brains turn me on too! And older (not old, but old-er-) men get my heart racing.
:)
Your hub sounds like a treasure, for sure.
ReplyDeleteI, too, like a man with brains who isn't afraid to be smart without bragging. I also find a man who is willing to talk about his emotions without shame. And finding one with the combination of the two is just so, so sexy. Yummmm.
What is a great movie reference (if I may be so bold?) is a movie guide called Halliwells...
ReplyDeleteIt is brilliant... They have every film ever made...
And they are very, very picky with their star system...
You can bet your bottom dollar if it gets two stars let alone four stars the film is good...
My husband and I are big movie buffs...
And the guide(we get one ever five years) is worth it when we go to our crazy video rental place...
And by the by and by, has hubby noticed in the chariot scene in Ben Hur the guy wearing the watch?
THe big 'oops' of the film..
; )
Smarts AND humor. You met Bryan, you know what I like.
ReplyDelete